Sta-kon connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Does anyone know where to order these at a fair price? I need the butt crimps, but I am getting prices from $20 to $150 for a box of 100.

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
You didn't say what size you are looking for. Here's a link to 16/14 awg. $5 for 75.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-...-SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-202522630-_-N

Those are not Sta-Kons. Sta-Kons are made by T&B and are marked.

images

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Sta-Kons are UL listed. G&B do not appear to be. The prices are crazy high.

Oh yes! :eek: but after using them for years I can see why. They are vastly better. The G&Bs are like taffy and the plastic (I think) casing often exposes the metal barrel after crimped. I wouldn't even use G&B for hobby stuff.

Besoeker

Those are not Sta-Kons. Sta-Kons are made by T&B and are marked.

images

Useful for extending a conductor.
My company stopped using butt connectors quite a few years ago. Mostly panel wiring was run in trunking and terminated at each end with a crimped terminal. If a butt connector was used to extend a conductor it would then be out of sight in a run of trunking. Many of our customers' specs expressly forbid concealed conductor connections. So we just stopped using them. If a wire was too short for any reason, you ran a new one.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Sta-kon pricing is based on volume, even for authorized distributors. Just because a distributor is authorized for T&B in general doesn't mean they buy enough volume of terminals to get good pricing. The trick is to find one that does a lot of business with control panel builders, especially those serving big companies that will drive them to use only Sta-kons (as you have apparently found). One way to do that is to go to ABBs website for T&B and look for the rep agency for your area, then call the rep and ask them which of their distributors buys terminals in the highest volume in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.