2 cable circuit route

Status
Not open for further replies.
from this study book photo attached, the cable going to the second receptacle, (not
switch controlled). is it practical to route it through the switch box?

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 1

iwire64

It can be done that way. As far as practicality, that would depend on the physical location of each outlet box.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
from this study book photo attached, the cable going to the second receptacle, (not
switch controlled). is it practical to route it through the switch box?

If you want to do it that way you would need a 3 wire cable between the switched receptacle and the switch since the switch location does not have a neutral.

kwired

Electron manager
If you want to do it that way you would need a 3 wire cable between the switched receptacle and the switch since the switch location does not have a neutral.
Grounded conductor not required at a switch controlling a receptacle outlet.

If one wanted to run through the switch box to get to the end outlet in question would be more practical to do so with 3 wire (with ground) cable, but would still be acceptable to run 2-two wire cables to the switch box. One has to pay more attention to box fill the more conductors you run to it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Grounded conductor not required at a switch controlling a receptacle outlet.

If one wanted to run through the switch box to get to the end outlet in question would be more practical to do so with 3 wire (with ground) cable, but would still be acceptable to run 2-two wire cables to the switch box. One has to pay more attention to box fill the more conductors you run to it.

I think that almost all electricians would choose to run one 3 wire cable in lieu of two 2 wire cables. Unless you only had 2 wire cable running two of them would be kind of silly.

JFletcher

This is not how I would wire it new. I'd have a neutral at the switch box and use a single 12 or 14/3 cable to each switched receptacle (from the switch box), using black as permanent hot and red as the switched. Most times there isnt one switched receptacle, there are a whole room full of them. That way your switch box has both a neutral and permanent power.

I think that almost all electricians would choose to run one 3 wire cable in lieu of two 2 wire cables. Unless you only had 2 wire cable running two of them would be kind of silly.

:happyyes:

JFletcher

If this were a remodel, you could run a 14/2 from the existing receptacle you wanted switched up to a cut-in light box whose sole purpose would be to switch half of that receptacle. I've never had a call for such an install but I do see how it could wind up that way. Wouldnt work with #12 wire unless you had a 22cu in box as you'd have 3 12/2 cables (feed in, feed out, switch leg + a device (6.75 + 4.5 + 4.5 +4.5 = 20.25 in3 fill).

kwired

Electron manager
Also depends a little on actual arrangement of things. In reality that "end receptacle" may not be practical to have it's supply run through/near the switch at all. Laying it all out like they did in that image for the sake of showing connections just makes it read a little like a wiring diagram IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.