ground wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

champy

Is thwn ok to run to ground rods i do not see where thwn can be indirect contact with the earth soil.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
hmmm, for what purpose are you doing this? ground rods sounds like bonding, which is usually #8 or bigger bare copper.

is this your 1st use of wire?

my inclination is to say no under NEC, but maybe yes if its the right color and used as a tracer wire not connected??

jumper

The insulation type is basically not relevant as a GEC can be bare. What is relevant is whether you are talking about a copper or aluminum conductor. Aluminum conductors cannot be in contact with bare earth and IIRC must be terminated like 18" above ground.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
hmmm, for what purpose are you doing this? ground rods sounds like bonding, which is usually #8 or bigger bare copper.

is this your 1st use of wire?

my inclination is to say no under NEC, but maybe yes if its the right color and used as a tracer wire not connected??

what color do you think it should be?

FionaZuppa

Occupation
The insulation type is basically not relevant as a GEC can be bare. What is relevant is whether you are talking about a copper or aluminum conductor. Aluminum conductors cannot be in contact with bare earth and IIRC must be terminated like 18" above ground.

if its used for bonding grid, for say near pools, it cannot be insulated. only the egc will come to pump insulated.

what color do you think it should be?
as a tracer? red for electric, blue for water, yellow for gas.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Conductors used for direct-burial shall be of a type identified for the use. Whatever that means. So, I would say that THWN looks good to me.
can i bury a 2 CCC cable marked for direct burial along with a #6 bare copper out to a sub panel 100ft away, and, use that bare copper for EGC?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
can i bury a 2 CCC cable marked for direct burial along with a #6 bare copper out to a sub panel 100ft away, and, use that bare copper for EGC?
This thread is not about an EGC.

Roger

FionaZuppa

Occupation
This thread is not about an EGC.

Roger
exactly the statement i was waiting for, i just had to lead some
right, so it doesnt really matter

250.62 #8 copper #6 aluminum min

if it is very wet salty soil, like ocean front property, i would perhaps choose direct burial rated. southwire makes #8 copper tracer in 30v and 600v, way cheaper than other direct burial rated wire.

insulated or bare. any insulation of any type does help protect against corrosion. so THHN THWN is ok. i guess the color should be green?

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
exactly the statement i was waiting for, i just had to lead some
right, so it doesnt really matter

250.62 #8 copper #6 aluminum min

if it is very wet salty soil, like ocean front property, i would perhaps choose direct burial rated. southwire makes #8 copper tracer in 30v and 600v, way cheaper than other direct burial rated wire.
And none of that has anything to do with the OP's question so if you want to talk about something else start a new thread.

i guess the color should be green?
And back to the GEC discussion at hand, what makes you think it should be green?

Roger

FionaZuppa

Occupation
And back to the GEC discussion at hand, what makes you think it should be green?

Roger

it does have everything to do with OP's Q. did you read the Q ? THWN is a protector, good enough for 250, etc.

because world standards use green or yellow striped green for earthed/ground.

why use red?

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
it does have everything to do with OP's Q. did you read the Q ? THWN is a protector, good enough fro 250, etc.
No it doesn't, you need to read the definition of Equipment Grounding Conductor verses Grounding Electrode Conductor.

Roger

FionaZuppa

Occupation
No it doesn't, you need to read the definition of Equipment Grounding Conductor verses Grounding Electrode Conductor.

Roger
doesnt 250.62 say "grounding electrode conductor" ? or is it written in chinese and my translation is off?

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
doesnt 250.26 say "grounding electrode conductor" ? or is it written in chinese and my translation is off?
250.26 has nothing to do with the conductor the OP is asking about.

With that said, we're not going to play your games, we are talking about the GEC and if you want talk about something else, I'll say it again, start another thread.

Roger

FionaZuppa

Occupation
250.26 has nothing to do with the conductor the OP is asking about.

With that said, we're not going to play your games, we are talking about the GEC and if you want talk about something else, I'll say it again, start another thread.

Roger
250.62 does have everything to do with GEC? no?

Status
Not open for further replies.