ground wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
Fantastic- now where does it say anything about the color of any insulation?

so you believe NEC code writers are the sharpest tools in the shed? i myself do not, but thats just me.
i never said NEC mandated a color, i said THHN THWN (whatever) will help keep wire from corrosion, thus THHN THWN, whatever, doesnt really matter.

why green was suggested, do you really need to ask that Q. green and green w/ yellow stripe are world std's for earthed-ground (AC and DC). i do not recall ever seeing a ground rod being anything other than earthed-ground, have you?

what am i missing? i all ears ;)

kwired

Electron manager
so you believe NEC code writers are the sharpest tools in the shed? i myself do not, but thats just me.
i never said NEC mandated a color, i said THHN THWN (whatever) will help keep wire from corrosion, thus THHN THWN, whatever, doesnt really matter.

why green was suggested, do you really need to ask that Q. green and green w/ yellow stripe are world std's for earthed-ground (AC and DC). i do not recall ever seeing a ground rod being anything other than earthed-ground, have you?

The part that matters the most - at the connection to the electrode has covering removed anyway. I suspect there may have been proposals to mandate a color, likely green, but we still don't have such wording to mandate any color for GEC's.

If you want to use green that is a design decision, and because there is nothing requiring or prohibiting use of green is not a violation either, but an inspector has nothing to cite should you not use green.

user 100

I see that you never said color was mandated once I read further back.

I got confused:slaphead:

All those posts about GEC insulation color kind of popped up out of left field.

It didn't seem to make a lick of sense, since a GEC doesn't need insulation anyway......

The insulation type is basically not relevant as a GEC can be bare. What is relevant is whether you are talking about a copper or aluminum conductor. Aluminum conductors cannot be in contact with bare earth and IIRC must be terminated like 18" above ground.

Now for the op-he only needed Jumpers post/ the full 250.62 code reference- any worries about corrosion would have been answered there (if it exists he needs to do a preventative of some type)- instead of all this meandering off into color of insulation not even required.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.