#14 switchlegs on a 20A light circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
There used to be a practice to run switch legs for lighting on 14 ga even though the circuit was 20 amp overcurrent device. Is this an acceptable practice still? I have not seen anyone do this for a long time in my jurisdiction and wondering if I am missing something. Do not want to reject something that is acceptable. Thank you.

There used to be a practice to run switch legs for lighting on 14 ga even though the circuit was 20 amp overcurrent device. Is this an acceptable practice still? I have not seen anyone do this for a long time in my jurisdiction and wondering if I am missing something. Do not want to reject something that is acceptable. Thank you.
20 amp means 20 amp! Use 20 amp wire............ period!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
Something that was done a lot in some places, think it would have been a very long time ago if it ever actually was NEC acceptable, like possibly back when knob and tube wiring was still the main wiring method being used.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

the premise would have been that the connected load would normally
have been a couple hundred watts, and you'd never overload a #14
wire.

not code compliant. never has been, to my knowledge.

Something that was done a lot in some places, think it would have been a very long time ago if it ever actually was NEC acceptable, like possibly back when knob and tube wiring was still the main wiring method being used.
You must use correct wire size to breaker not load. I worked with people who focused on load more than Supply. It's the breaker size that determines the wire size. Within its context.

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
At least I know I am not completely crazy. I seem to remember a few old timers doing this in the late 80's, but had not seen it for a long time. It is a shame that contractor now has to replace 500 feet of wiring just because of switch leg reduction of conductor sizing. I know the argument will be that it is LED lighting with minimal load, but as stated, it is the supply that dictates the conductor sizing, not the loading. thanks for the quick responses.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
At least I know I am not completely crazy. I seem to remember a few old timers doing this in the late 80's, but had not seen it for a long time. It is a shame that contractor now has to replace 500 feet of wiring just because of switch leg reduction of conductor sizing. I know the argument will be that it is LED lighting with minimal load, but as stated, it is the supply that dictates the conductor sizing, not the loading. thanks for the quick responses.
Why would the wire and not the OCPD be replaced?

Jim1959

TABLE 210.24 TAPS

TABLE 210.24 TAPS

There are allowable branch circuit taps per Table 210.24. Maybe the OP had learned from those who utilize these taps, whether code compliant or not. I've worked with electricians who believed they could tap circuits for an individual receptacle or light fixture without distance limitations. Per 210.19(A)(4) Exception #1, the uses for these taps is quite limited.

Just change the breaker to 15 amps. Double check full load on that circuit. If load is too much split the circuit at easiest point and reseed it.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree with Don and Daniel. I don't know of any requirement for lighting to be on a 20 amp circuit. Just replace the breaker with a 15 amp version, and the wires can remain in place.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I agree with Don and Daniel. I don't know of any requirement for lighting to be on a 20 amp circuit. Just replace the breaker with a 15 amp version, and the wires can remain in place.

That might be a code violation if wired to 3va per foot. Just make sure its not- and the circuit can do without those 5 extra amps.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Yes. Where #12 is used a #12 EGC would be required.

If you did use 15A breakers, then wouldnt the portion of the circuit that is in #12 technically be upsized and require a larger ground (for the #14) per 250.122(B)?

I thought the EGC needs to be upsized only when the conductors are upsized for "voltage drop" conditions. If the distance is not an issue why does the EGC needs to be upsized?

jumper

I thought the EGC needs to be upsized only when the conductors are upsized for "voltage drop" conditions. If the distance is not an issue why does the EGC needs to be upsized?

They revised it and took out the voltage drop clause.

(B) Increased in Size. Where ungrounded conductors are
increased in size from the minimum size that has sufficient
ampacity for the intended installation, wire-type equipment
grounding conductors, where installed, shall be increased in
size proportionately according to the circular mil area of
the ungrounded conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.