Generator connecion to transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone.

I have the following scenario: Three phase 750 kVA 13.8/0.48 kV transformer feeding an industrial plant through a switchgear panel. This facility has four 65 kW generators providing constant power to the system. These generators are outside of the electrical room, and they each have a 100 Amps breakers outside the electrical room.

When they come into the electrical room, they all go straight to the transformer bushings where they come together, and then they go the main breaker. I think this is wrong as it fails to provide a disconnecting means for all of the generators and short circuit condition could affect the transformer directly but I can't find a NEC reference to it. I think every generator should get to a breaker inside the main electrical room and then connect to the switchgear bus, not the transformer bushings. I would really appreciate your help.

You may find the pictures in this link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BylxSU-28G7OM1BvQmNyMVB3dWM?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance,

Pablo.

victor.cherkashi

450.14 Disconnecting Means.

450.14 Disconnecting Means.

in NEC 2011 and up.
450.14 Disconnecting Means. Transformers, other than

Class 2 or Class 3 transformers, shall have a disconnecting
means located either in sight of the transformer or in
a remote location. Where located in a remote location,
the disconnecting means shall be lockable, and the location
shall be field marked on the transformer.

Ingenieur

Is this actually in service?
How do you synchronize the generators before bringing them online???? That seems like a major missing piece. Is there any other protection for them?

(A one-line diagram would help here.)

Must be some relays/controls and contactors?

Status
Not open for further replies.