Pad-mounted transformer relocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCPE

Hi,

I've got a project where a pad mounted transformer is being moved and I am planning on splicing the service conductors, 4 sets of 4-500mcm, at the existing transformer location. What kind of enclosure and installation would work best in this location? The ground slopes down from the back of the existing transformer pad to the front of the transformer. See the attached picture, let me know if you can't see it clearly, I seem to be having trouble attaching it. It seems like a heavy steel enclosure (similar to the transformer enclosure) that would bolt to the existing transformer pad would work best but I am not aware of a listed product like that.

xfmr picture.jpg

Also, it seems like Polaris lugs would provide the simplest method of splicing but apparently they are only acceptable under the 2017 code (314.28(E)(1) if they are marked "suitable for use on the line side of service equipment". We are still under 2014 code. I don't find where Polaris lugs were not acceptable at this location under the 2014 but EC&M's code analysis says they weren't, does anyone know what section prevents their use under 2014 and what do you think would be the best splicing method in this location?

Thanks,
John

JCPE

I got some clarification on the code section, Polaris lugs are not "power distribution blocks", they are connectors. I don't recall ever seeing any but apparently, power distribution blocks are sometimes used in panelboards by the OEM.

I am still trying to come up with the best enclosure for splicing the conductors, I'm a little surprised no one has suggested anything yet, I'd think this was fairly common. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.