Impact on system with 120/208V aux. power and 208V controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEMinist

Hi. I was wondering if I have a plant that has an auxiliary power at 120/208V, what type of impact would it be to have a controller rated for 1) 208V, single phase, 2 poles and 2) 120V, single phase, 1 pole? Due to fluctuations I am assuming one could drop below a certain limit that can danger the controller if you use a 208V (1)) controller, or am I wrong here?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Hi. I was wondering if I have a plant that has an auxiliary power at 120/208V, what type of impact would it be to have a controller rated for 1) 208V, single phase, 2 poles and 2) 120V, single phase, 1 pole? Due to fluctuations I am assuming one could drop below a certain limit that can danger the controller if you use a 208V (1)) controller, or am I wrong here?

:blink:

Try again with your question. I’m slow.

STEMinist

:blink:

Try again with your question. I’m slow.

I was confused too. I am actually referring a question I received myself that states "as it stands currently the plant’s auxiliary power will be a 120/208V system; what type of impact would it be to have the controller rated for 208V, 1ph, 2 pole or for that matter 120V, 1ph, 1 pole?" and this one "What the major difference between a controller rated for 208V, 1ph, 2 pole and 120V, 1ph, 1 pole? " (But the latter one I think is pretty obvious...) Hence the not so easy to understand description in my question. Sorry!

gar

Occupation
EE
171017-1239 EDT

STEMinist:

What is a "controller"? What is the controller powered from? What does the controller do? How does the controller relate to the primary and auxiliary power sources?

The difference between the 208 and the 120 controllers could be what is hung across the input terminals (MOVs, capacitors, etc.). Without these other components it would be breakdown voltage to chassis (ground), but I would expect this to be in the multi thousands of volts.

STEMinist

171017-1239 EDT

STEMinist:

What is a "controller"? What is the controller powered from? What does the controller do? How does the controller relate to the primary and auxiliary power sources?

The difference between the 208 and the 120 controllers could be what is hung across the input terminals (MOVs, capacitors, etc.). Without these other components it would be breakdown voltage to chassis (ground), but I would expect this to be in the multi thousands of volts.

Apparently, the controller was the main switch for a dryer unit. The guy chose to go with a 120 controller. Was asking about more info about where the power came from, but I haven't heard back yet. But it is out of my hands now since he claimed he solved the problem. Thanks for the input on the difference between the 208 and 120.

Status
Not open for further replies.