200A service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. Need a little help with this one. Been a industrial electrician for 12 years now. And now that it comes to a simple 200a service, I'm needing some help here. So what my plan is, going to bring the service to my pole barn, through my meter to a automatic transfer switch and then to a distribution panel. From the M.D.P. I want 2-100amp ( non fused??? ) disconnects to feed my garage and one for my house. What I am unclear about is of course grounding/bonding of this set up. Since I am not going to my house 1st, will I need to install a ground loop at my meter? And with the feeders to my house and detached garage, I don't want to be paralleling my grounded conductor (neutral) with a grounding conducter in the same raceway...right??? So no bonding jumper with the 2-100 amp panels? Keep the grounds separate from the neutrals and connect to my supplemental water ground and rod at the house....same with the garage with its own means of grounding???just needing a little advice here is all. thanks

nickelec

I personally would leave the meter into a trough or wire way to feed 2 100 amp main breaker panels or , hit a 200amp fused disconnect then into a trough or wireway and feed two MLO panels and run the egc to the disconnect and install the MBJ there as well

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Interesting design - ATS can auto-start generator off-grid, rather than using panel-board interlocks, or TESLA power walls.

1) If building permits are involved, approved plans will help explain your equipment engineering to combination inspectors.

2) Unfortunately, the MDP prohibits the 83% rule 310.15(B)(7). No such savings in copper or pipe size, without approved engineering plans.

3) PoCo overheads to each 100A structure would cost a fraction of your underground feeders, without needing any engineered plans.

kwired

Electron manager
Hey everyone. Need a little help with this one. Been a industrial electrician for 12 years now. And now that it comes to a simple 200a service, I'm needing some help here. So what my plan is, going to bring the service to my pole barn, through my meter to a automatic transfer switch and then to a distribution panel. From the M.D.P. I want 2-100amp ( non fused??? ) disconnects to feed my garage and one for my house. What I am unclear about is of course grounding/bonding of this set up. Since I am not going to my house 1st, will I need to install a ground loop at my meter? And with the feeders to my house and detached garage, I don't want to be paralleling my grounded conductor (neutral) with a grounding conducter in the same raceway...right??? So no bonding jumper with the 2-100 amp panels? Keep the grounds separate from the neutrals and connect to my supplemental water ground and rod at the house....same with the garage with its own means of grounding???just needing a little advice here is all. thanks
Once you leave the service disconnecting means you never connect neutral to the EGC again, unless the generator is installed as a separately derived system - in which case you also switch neutral conductors in the transfer switch to isolate neutrals to prevent creating parallel neutral paths via EGC's.

You connect grounding electrode(s) to the neutral at the service equipment.

You must have grounding electrode system at each separate structure, but it connects to the EGC instead of the neutral if the structure is not fed by service conductors.

Interesting design - ATS can auto-start generator off-grid, rather than using panel-board interlocks, or TESLA power walls.

1) If building permits are involved, approved plans will help explain your equipment engineering to combination inspectors.

2) Unfortunately, the MDP prohibits the 83% rule 310.15(B)(7). No such savings in copper or pipe size, without approved engineering plans.

3) PoCo overheads to each 100A structure would cost a fraction of your underground feeders, without needing any engineered plans.

Permits are required, but there's not gonna be any engineering plans. being a young journeyman in steel mill country, i know i can build and design this work myself, just need to know a few small details...mainly grounding and bonding. i understand the majority of it, but since i am setting my mdp at the pole barn, will i need a ground loop, do i pull a grounding conductor with my feeder cables or will this create a paralleled neutral..etc. I have my 2008 nec in front of me and i'm not seeing 310.15(b)(7), only goes up to table (b)(6), which is common. Thanks for your help!

Once you leave the service disconnecting means you never connect neutral to the EGC again, unless the generator is installed as a separately derived system - in which case you also switch neutral conductors in the transfer switch to isolate neutrals to prevent creating parallel neutral paths via EGC's.

You connect grounding electrode(s) to the neutral at the service equipment.

You must have grounding electrode system at each separate structure, but it connects to the EGC instead of the neutral if the structure is not fed by service conductors.

Thanks for your knowledge...this will help, much appreciated!

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Permits are required, but there's not gonna be any engineering plans, being a young journeyman in steel mill country, i know i can build and design this work myself..

Make a scetch, and ask the building-department planner (draftsman) to print a drawing for the inspectors. They might even offer some helpful suggestions, and put a stamp on it.

..just need to know a few small details...mainly grounding and bonding. i understand the majority of it

See Kwired post above, I could not have described it better.

I have my 2008 nec in front of me and i'm not seeing 310.15(b)(7), only goes up to table (b)(6), which is common. Thanks for your help!

You found it, (B)(6) & Table (b)(6) in 2008 is the same thing as (B)(7), or 83% rule, in the next code cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.