MC Cable Used Outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me if the attached picture looks code compliant. This is at a NJ Shore resort town 300ft from the beach. The installer states that it is code compliant. This work was completed after the building was constructed. It uses MC cable and normal connectors. NEC 2014 330.10(A)(3) allows the use of MC cable outdoors, but 330.10(A)(11) states if used in wet locations must have a corrosion resistant jacket over the metal jacket. Im confident the installer used landscapers and not electricians for the installation. There were (3) photocells in the white boxes for conrol of exterior lighting. the residents wanted the lights on a timer is why the installation was changed.

shoremc1.JPG

MAC702

Proper support of cable would be an issue even if allowed there, which I don't think it is. I wouldn't have done it even if it were, which is why I'm not 100% sure it isn't, but I know which way I'm betting.

EDIT: And that's besides the fact that I'd be ashamed to leave an ugly mess like that behind and call it a finished job.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I don't necessarily agree with the other comments. The picture doesn't show enough to determine if this is a wet location or a damp location. See Article 100 locations, damp or wet. Article 330 allows MC indoors and outdoors, and only sets restrictions on wet locations and specifically allows only dry locations if embedded in masonry. So, this installation would be allowed in a damp location. It still needs to be properly secured.

Strathead

Occupation
Yep, white covers. It is a violation.

It may very well be. I am not scrutinizing the entire code book at this time, however, please don't just make a statement that it is a violation here. Cite the code section or sections that make it a violation.

Strathead

Occupation
That MC would be considered fixed wiring and I highly doubt that cover is listed for that use.

I don't see the words fixed wiring in section 300.15, nor do I see anything that has any reference to that installation in that section.

"Where the wiring method is conduit, tubing, Type AC cable, Type MC cable, Type MI cable, nonmetallic-sheathed cable, or other cables, a box or conduit body shall be installed at each conductor splice point, outlet point, switch point, junction point, termination point, or pull point."
The boxes and fittings must be listed for the use, 330.40, and I doubt that a box cover is listed for connection to fixed wiring.

Strathead

Occupation
"Where the wiring method is conduit, tubing, Type AC cable, Type MC cable, Type MI cable, nonmetallic-sheathed cable, or other cables, a box or conduit body shall be installed at each conductor splice point, outlet point, switch point, junction point, termination point, or pull point."
The boxes and fittings must be listed for the use, 330.40, and I doubt that a box cover is listed for connection to fixed wiring.

Now we are getting somewhere. I don't agree with you. 330.40 requires the fitting to be listed not the boxes or covers. Read it again, or I am sure someone here will paste it that has that ability.

jumper

There is a box for the splice etc.

Where does that section say anything in regards to that cover.

Flexible raceways can be attached to box covers, common for powering office partitions/cubicles.

MAC702

I agree using the covers is acceptable. I've seen it done many times. I try to avoid it, but I've done it. I can't figure out why they did it here. Looks like it would have been easy to enter the sides of the box, and then it would have been easy to properly strap the cable down, too.

I'd like to see a picture with more of the surrounding overhang.

Strathead

Occupation
I agree using the covers is acceptable. I've seen it done many times. I try to avoid it, but I've done it. I can't figure out why they did it here. Looks like it would have been easy to enter the sides of the box, and then it would have been easy to properly strap the cable down, too.

I'd like to see a picture with more of the surrounding overhang.

True we still have the original issue of wet location damp location that hasn't been truly answered.

mike7330

Grounding?

Grounding?

Is that really MC?
I can see the time clock is a pvc / plastic enclosure
How is the clock grounded? Provisions in time clock for grounding? Bonding bushings?
Is the AC / MC even grounded in the bell boxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.