MC Cable Used Outdoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MC Cable Used Outdoors

Can anyone tell me if the attached picture looks code compliant. This is at a NJ Shore resort town 300ft from the beach. The installer states that it is code compliant. This work was completed after the building was constructed. It uses MC cable and normal connectors. NEC 2014 330.10(A)(3) allows the use of MC cable outdoors, but 330.10(A)(11) states if used in wet locations must have a corrosion resistant jacket over the metal jacket. Im confident the installer used landscapers and not electricians for the installation. There were (3) photocells in the white boxes for conrol of exterior lighting. the residents wanted the lights on a timer is why the installation was changed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	shoremc1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	2387182

Not compliant: no outer jacket, wrong connectors, and not secured properly.
    [COLOR="blue"]"Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek[/COLOR]

Comment

Proper support of cable would be an issue even if allowed there, which I don't think it is. I wouldn't have done it even if it were, which is why I'm not 100% sure it isn't, but I know which way I'm betting.

EDIT: And that's besides the fact that I'd be ashamed to leave an ugly mess like that behind and call it a finished job.

Comment

Not code compliant for several reasons. A corrosion resistant jacket is an option for wet locations.
        You may well be the sharpest tool in the box, but in the end you are still a tool.

Comment

The MC cable needs to be connected to a box or conduit body.
          You may well be the sharpest tool in the box, but in the end you are still a tool.

Comment

I don't necessarily agree with the other comments. The picture doesn't show enough to determine if this is a wet location or a damp location. See Article 100 locations, damp or wet. Article 330 allows MC indoors and outdoors, and only sets restrictions on wet locations and specifically allows only dry locations if embedded in masonry. So, this installation would be allowed in a damp location. It still needs to be properly secured.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

Comment

Originally posted by DRGREG View Post
              The MC cable needs to be connected to a box or conduit body.
              Are you referring to the white covers?

If so, I am not so sure that is illegal. Definitely fugly though.

Derek[/COLOR]

Comment

Yep, white covers. It is a violation.

Comment

It may very well be. I am not scrutinizing the entire code book at this time, however, please don't just make a statement that it is a violation here. Cite the code section or sections that make it a violation.

Comment

Code reference or UL citation?

Derek[/COLOR]

Comment

That MC would be considered fixed wiring and I highly doubt that cover is listed for that use.

Comment

That MC would be considered fixed wiring and I highly doubt that cover is listed for that use.
                        I don't see the words fixed wiring in section 300.15, nor do I see anything that has any reference to that installation in that section.

Comment

"Where the wiring method is conduit, tubing, Type AC cable, Type MC cable, Type MI cable, nonmetallic-sheathed cable, or other cables, a box or conduit body shall be installed at each conductor splice point, outlet point, switch point, junction point, termination point, or pull point."
                          The boxes and fittings must be listed for the use, 330.40, and I doubt that a box cover is listed for connection to fixed wiring.

Comment

"Where the wiring method is conduit, tubing, Type AC cable, Type MC cable, Type MI cable, nonmetallic-sheathed cable, or other cables, a box or conduit body shall be installed at each conductor splice point, outlet point, switch point, junction point, termination point, or pull point."
                            The boxes and fittings must be listed for the use, 330.40, and I doubt that a box cover is listed for connection to fixed wiring.
                            Now we are getting somewhere. I don't agree with you. 330.40 requires the fitting to be listed not the boxes or covers. Read it again, or I am sure someone here will paste it that has that ability.

Comment

There is a box for the splice etc.

Where does that section say anything in regards to that cover.

Flexible raceways can be attached to box covers, common for powering office partitions/cubicles.

Derek[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X