Fire pump cable installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGest

Hi everyone,

Would anyone have an idea on the best type of fire pump cable to install in NYC, taking ALL factors (price, difficulty of labor, etc..) into consideration. Specifically, when the specs don't require any particular method. I know regular THHN wire can be ran in RGS if it is encased in 2" concrete. There is also fir rated MI cable, but my understanding is that it is VERY difficult to pull, and I'd prefer not to use it. There is also cable manufactured by Draka, but I think it can only be used in horizontal runs? Bottom line, can someone help me figure out the best method to install fire pump feeders.

Thanks a lot

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Hi everyone,

Would anyone have an idea on the best type of fire pump cable to install in NYC, taking ALL factors (price, difficulty of labor, etc..) into consideration. Specifically, when the specs don't require any particular method. I know regular THHN wire can be ran in RGS if it is encased in 2" concrete. There is also fir rated MI cable, but my understanding is that it is VERY difficult to pull, and I'd prefer not to use it. There is also cable manufactured by Draka, but I think it can only be used in horizontal runs? Bottom line, can someone help me figure out the best method to install fire pump feeders.

Thanks a lot

Any way you can punch out of the service entrance room, run on the outside of the building, and punch back into the fire pump room?

tank728

Occupation
Electrician
You could run a riser in a two hour rated shaft. Typically that would be behind a double double sheetrock wall or a core board wall. That's used for shafts and stairways a lot of times. MI cable is a quite labor intensive.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You could run a riser in a two hour rated shaft. Typically that would be behind a double double sheetrock wall or a core board wall. That's used for shafts and stairways a lot of times. MI cable is a quite labor intensive.

May fly in your area but won't here. 965.6 referencing 230.6(1)or(2) is all that will be accepted.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So how did you like the Vitalink?

Having installed RMC, traditional MI cable and Vitalink for fire pumps there is no question that Vitalink is the easiest. Although it's stiff it's similar to installing large MC cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.