NFPA 110 and Rail Signaling

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlaineXD

Hey All,
I am trying to determine between Level 1 and 2 equipment for a rail signaling project I am working on. The current signaling system is powered from a single drop and has a UPS for about an hour's backup. It also has a manual switch for hooking up a portable generator. The project entails adding an on-site generator. The argument is that the system is critical (agreed by everyone) and that the on-site generator should be considered Level 1 Life Safety equipment. If this is considered Level 1, we will need to provide a fuel tank as well. If this is not Level 1, we would like to propose an NG generator fed by utility.

In my mind, the UPS/MTS portion of the system is sufficient to support Level 1, and the additional on-site generator is simply an N+2 redundancy and not considered critical. But, I am really looking for any opinions about what distinguishes between Level 1 and Level 2 in this case?

Thanks,
--Nate

skeshesh

Hey All,
I am trying to determine between Level 1 and 2 equipment for a rail signaling project I am working on. The current signaling system is powered from a single drop and has a UPS for about an hour's backup. It also has a manual switch for hooking up a portable generator. The project entails adding an on-site generator. The argument is that the system is critical (agreed by everyone) and that the on-site generator should be considered Level 1 Life Safety equipment. If this is considered Level 1, we will need to provide a fuel tank as well. If this is not Level 1, we would like to propose an NG generator fed by utility.

In my mind, the UPS/MTS portion of the system is sufficient to support Level 1, and the additional on-site generator is simply an N+2 redundancy and not considered critical. But, I am really looking for any opinions about what distinguishes between Level 1 and Level 2 in this case?

Thanks,
--Nate

Refer to NFPA 110 for your question regarding definition of Level 1 EPSS. If loss of power could result in loss of human life, it meets the definition in the literal sense. However the determination of which EPSS level applies is based on other NPFA standards.

What is the function of the rail signaling system? If this is really a signal for a railway wouldn't there be other specific standards that define which level (if any) is applicable?

Status
Not open for further replies.