Metal To Metal Defined

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeslaEE

What is the meaning of metal to metal clearances? I keep seeing it in IEEE papers relating to electrical clearances. I see phase to phase and phase to ground clearances, which are obvious. Is this metal to metal electrical clearance also the same as the metal to metal clearance required in grounding applications? I searched through IEEE C37.32-2002, and didn't find an actual definition of the metal to metal verbiage they use throughout the standard.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
What is the meaning of metal to metal clearances? I keep seeing it in IEEE papers relating to electrical clearances. I see phase to phase and phase to ground clearances, which are obvious. Is this metal to metal electrical clearance also the same as the metal to metal clearance required in grounding applications? I searched through IEEE C37.32-2002, and didn't find an actual definition of the metal to metal verbiage they use throughout the standard.

I think you would have to post the instance where you have seen this and the context. The only “metal to metal” clearance issue I can think of would be metal conductor to metal structures / enclosures . That clearance may be different than, say, phase to phase conductors or phase to ground separated by an insulator.

TeslaEE

So, you're saying metal to metal would be an air gap clearance required between ungrounded metallic objects, regardless of energization. This metal to metal would also be different from the clearance required between a, b, and c phase while they travel parallel to each other?

Wouldn't most structures and enclosures be grounded and thus be considered... ground. So, you would be using the phase to ground clearance as opposed to metal to metal?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree that we don't have any context for understanding your question. Can you post a quote from one or more of the IEEE papers, so we can see what you are describing?

Status
Not open for further replies.