Recessed Meter in Concrete

Status
Not open for further replies.

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Has anyone ever done a recessed meter in a concrete wall?

I'm doing a 200A residential overhead meter that we're hoping to recess into a concrete wall. I would imagine that the meter needs to be listed for concrete encasement.

If anyone has done this, do you remember what make/model you used?

Rob

Mouser

I can honestly say no I never have... But this is not an CODE thing, it would be up to the Power Company (PoCo) since this is their equipment and what they say in their service guide. you may find their requirements possibly on their website.

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I can honestly say no I never have... But this is not an CODE thing, it would be up to the Power Company (PoCo) since this is their equipment and what they say in their service guide. you may find their requirements possibly on their website.

The job is located in Seattle. The standard procedure here is that the normal electrical inspector inspects my service equipment to make sure it meets all of the NEC requirements and local requirements. Then separately the POCO does their own inspection to make sure that it meets all their requirements not covered by the first inspection. Things like meter height and location on the house.

I've already gotten the "ok" from the POCO rep but I still would have the normal electrical inspector to worry about who likely would be the one to call out that a given meter socket isn't listed to be encased in concrete. So if there isn't a meter out there that is listed for this type of installation, it seems like I'd be outa luck. I would imagine I could have the concrete contractor create a recess for the meter and accomplish something similar that way.

Rob

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I came across one that was embedded in brick above the brick shelf on a residence. It was an underground service and the cover was completely rusted, the inside seemed to be OK. Not sure how long it was in existence or whether the brick was installed after the house was constructed. Here's what it looked like when I got there:

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have been hired in the past to replace meter cans with rusted out bottoms. The POCO told the HO to replace it or lose service. Seems like if you bury it, you are setting the HO up for trouble down the road. Replacing a buried one would be massively more expensive. This would also be true if a future upgrade required a higher capacity can.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have been hired in the past to replace meter cans with rusted out bottoms. The POCO told the HO to replace it or lose service. Seems like if you bury it, you are setting the HO up for trouble down the road. Replacing a buried one would be massively more expensive. This would also be true if a future upgrade required a higher capacity can.
I agree. If you look at the photo I posted (as an example) you would have to bust out the brick above and below to remove the existing meter enclosure. A real PITA, IMHO.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I came across one that was embedded in brick above the brick shelf on a residence. It was an underground service and the cover was completely rusted, the inside seemed to be OK. Not sure how long it was in existence or whether the brick was installed after the house was constructed. Here's what it looked like when I got there:

Pretty sure the brick is put on after it is constructed!:p

Adamjamma

In Jamaica we just fill the meter area with paper and put it on the form boards... it takes many years to rust out. Just make sure you have paper 8n your conduits as well. I prefer using a mold instead but the locals think I am nuts for trying to install meter bases after the posts are built.

Status
Not open for further replies.