Combination AFCI GFCI TR (Tamper Resistant) Outlet Available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brycenesbitt

I see the Leviton GFNL2-W, but it's not TR.

Is there a combination AFCI GFCI TR 20 amp outlet available? This is for a laundry room,
and the local AHJ wants it all. The outlet goes back to a challenger panel with a left clip
single breaker... changing that out appears impractical.

Disclosure: I have no interest in debating merits or lack of merit of AFCI's here.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor

Is there a combination AFCI GFCI TR 20 amp outlet available? This is for a laundry room,
and the local AHJ wants it all. The outlet goes back to a challenger panel with a left clip

Disclosure: I have no interest in debating merits or lack of merit of AFCI's here.

These AFCI/ GFCI devices are " Dual Function " not combination.

Also why do you need a 20 amp version? is it a spec on the plan.

GerryB

What is a left clip breaker?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

The model number you give is for a tamper resistant night light combined with a smart lock GFCI.

Go to the link that Peter D provides below. You are looking for an AGTR1-W

kwired

Electron manager

Adamjamma

For "twins, tandems, half size" or whatever you want to call them they had a right half and a left half. To fully utilize a full panel space you needed one of each.
In some ways I wish all the manufactures had done that.. so you could put together groupings a bit easier in the field.. it gets tough sometimes when you have the circuits all over the place and you are trying to add in circuits yet keep an area grouped in case you later need to sub panel it.. back in eighties we had all these shops in the iron works that would decide we were billing them wrong and wanted their own meters... so we would need to route in a new panel and meter, get it all wired out, then call in dominion resources to plug in the new meter... boss insisted that I needed to learn to group every room in a group on main panels.. made me draw up my own home eight times before he and I went and wired it..lol...

kwired

Electron manager
In some ways I wish all the manufactures had done that.. so you could put together groupings a bit easier in the field.. it gets tough sometimes when you have the circuits all over the place and you are trying to add in circuits yet keep an area grouped in case you later need to sub panel it.. back in eighties we had all these shops in the iron works that would decide we were billing them wrong and wanted their own meters... so we would need to route in a new panel and meter, get it all wired out, then call in dominion resources to plug in the new meter... boss insisted that I needed to learn to group every room in a group on main panels.. made me draw up my own home eight times before he and I went and wired it..lol...
I don't have any clue what you are getting at. If anything the left and right halves were a pain (what little I had dealt with them) Many other manufacturers just had true "twins or tandems" with two handles on a one pole unit. GE has their "half size" breakers, but at least one of those fits in any space designed to accept it. If you have two left halves you can't combine them, you need a left and a right.

Adamjamma

I understand your point, like the use of tandems, but there were many times we had a few of the different halves in common sizes, but we did not have tandems... might just have been the time... but things like a quad breaker, 15/30/30/15... on the space of a double breaker...

kwired

Electron manager
I understand your point, like the use of tandems, but there were many times we had a few of the different halves in common sizes, but we did not have tandems... might just have been the time... but things like a quad breaker, 15/30/30/15... on the space of a double breaker...

15 amp left half
15 amp right half

20 amp left half
20 amp right half

Did they even make them in other ratings? If so did anyone ever stock them?

Need for two pole/quad is a different game, though don't know what may have been available from Challenger. Everything else I ever seen was all in one unit though.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
15 amp left half
15 amp right half

20 amp left half
20 amp right half

Did they even make them in other ratings? If so did anyone ever stock them?

Need for two pole/quad is a different game, though don't know what may have been available from Challenger. Everything else I ever seen was all in one unit though.

I used Challenger as my primary line for many years. Had jackets, shirts, hats. etc.

You could get the A series in all sizes from 15-50 amps. You could make up various quad breakers such as 1p15-2p50-1p20. They had 1/2" fillers if youdidn't fill an entire 1" spot. Westinghouse killed the original Challenger line when they purchased Challenger. They replaced all of the breakers with their Bryant breakers but marked them as Type C and Type A. You were not supposed in interchange the Challenger and Westinghouse/Bryant breakers even though they were exactly the same with a different label. When Eaton purchased the line from Westinghouse they started marking all of the breakers Type BR and Type C so they could be used interchangeably.

Crouse Hinds had the same configurations for the old Murray line when they owned it. When Siemens purchase the Crouse Hinds They killed off all of the original equipment and breakers and just put Murray labels on Siemens equipment.

brycenesbitt

Thank you, I will go with the 15 amp/20 amp passthrough Leviton AGTR1-E :
https://www.leviton.com/en/products/agtr1-e
I'll put the 20amp outlet downstream.

The challenger left clip breaker looks like this model UBITBA120R or UBITBA120L. You need a left at the right end of a row of breakers, a right clip at the left end:

Challenger Left Clip.jpg
I find the challenger system to be a complete pain, and think the clips action is flimsy.
But I don't want to change the panel.

kwired

Electron manager
Thank you, I will go with the 15 amp/20 amp passthrough Leviton AGTR1-E :
https://www.leviton.com/en/products/agtr1-e
I'll put the 20amp outlet downstream.

The challenger left clip breaker looks like this model UBITBA120R or UBITBA120L. You need a left at the right end of a row of breakers, a right clip at the left end:

View attachment 20925
I find the challenger system to be a complete pain, and think the clips action is flimsy.
But I don't want to change the panel.
As are all 1" wide plug on breakers. Some are a little better then others, and anyone that made a "1/2 size" is about as bad as they get. Only thing worse was FPE's stab-locs.

If you don't want "flimsy" every current manufacturer has a bolt on series, just not in every line they make.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.