I can't find resources online describing motor frame sizes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an existing motor that has a 509S frame size, and I am not sure how different the quoted 509 frame size motor will be. All other specs appear to be the same, or close enough. Could someone describe how to decipher frame sizes, or provide a resource for this?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
NEMA (National Electrical Manufacturers Assoc) publishes standard frame sizes for motors up to around 350HP (depending on several factors). Within those designated frame sizes, specific critical dimensions are supposed to be the same regardless of manufacturer.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/nema-electrical-motor-frame-dimensions-d_1504.html

Above that, motors are referred to as "Above NEMA" and frame sizes mean nothing to anyone outside of a specific manufacturer. So in this case, a 509S is a designation for a Siemens "Above NEMA" motor frame size, probably Medium Voltage. Other mfrs use a "509" frame designation in their MV motors as well, but there is no official standard any longer so you can't count on anything. That's because on those large motors, they are typically made to order, so you can ask for whatever you need anyway.

https://www.industry.usa.siemens.co...cification/Documents/CZ-500-2plusPL-AF-FS.pdf

cad99

e44e61cc86ff87f20b5bc4c89a678ceb.jpg

ae915ecd47b5d5c59d1cb12b0ffa9267.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEMA (National Electrical Manufacturers Assoc) publishes standard frame sizes for motors up to around 350HP (depending on several factors). Within those designated frame sizes, specific critical dimensions are supposed to be the same regardless of manufacturer.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/nema-electrical-motor-frame-dimensions-d_1504.html

Above that, motors are referred to as "Above NEMA" and frame sizes mean nothing to anyone outside of a specific manufacturer. So in this case, a 509S is a designation for a Siemens "Above NEMA" motor frame size, probably Medium Voltage. Other mfrs use a "509" frame designation in their MV motors as well, but there is no official standard any longer so you can't count on anything. That's because on those large motors, they are typically made to order, so you can ask for whatever you need anyway.

https://www.industry.usa.siemens.co...cification/Documents/CZ-500-2plusPL-AF-FS.pdf

Ok, thanks for the info, that helps. I have an existing 4kv siemens motor and I'm ordering a spare from siemens, so same manufacturer.

In smaller motors with which I'm familiar, an S indicates short shaft. They are often used for axial coupled hydraulic pumps, and with C-face attachments. I'm unfamiliar with the 509 frame. I see in Siemens literature, http://patricioconcha.ubb.cl/410213/siemens/nemaman.pdf that this ppears to be true. The 509S is detailed.

Thanks for the info. Looks like yes, it will have a shorter shaft. Now I just need to see if that will be an issue or not..

retirede

Thanks for the info. Looks like yes, it will have a shorter shaft. Now I just need to see if that will be an issue or not..

The “S” suffix in the frame size designation means “short shaft”.

If the replacement is a 509 and not 509S, the shaft will probably not be shorter.

The “S” suffix in the frame size designation means “short shaft”.

If the replacement is a 509 and not 509S, the shaft will probably not be shorter.

Yes, I said that incorrectly. We have a 509S onsite, and the replacement is quoted as a 509, so it will have a longer shaft. I'm working with the vendor now to see if we can get a 509S instead.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Note the short shaft diameter is also smaller, 2.625" vs 4.00"

I __BELIEVE__ the short shaft versions are not designed for any side load.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
didn't read thru all the posts cuz I have this ready all the time

Attachments

• nema_chart_04.pdf
    138.1 KB · Views: 6

RichB

Occupation
This is the NEMA chart --it is just put out by Baldor hence their advertising on it--It works across the board on NEMA motors-- or at least it has for the last 30 years for me--haven't bounced it off anyone else's charts in years--

retirede

This is the NEMA chart --it is just put out by Baldor hence their advertising on it--It works across the board on NEMA motors-- or at least it has for the last 30 years for me--haven't bounced it off anyone else's charts in years--

This thread is about a motor that is over NEMA frame size - 509. In these cases, you have get a manufacturer’s drawing.

Even within NEMA frame sizes, the ‘C’ dimension (overall length) varies by manufacturer, which may or may not be important depending on the application.

RichB

Occupation
:slaphead::ashamed1:got it guys--should have read all the posts and paid better attention to the OP--My OOPS!

Status
Not open for further replies.