Question about Motors and HOA wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two 3-phase motors, and an HOA switch on both.

There is a separate conduit for both, from the switchrack out to the motor.

I'm relying on existing drawings for the wiring information. In each conduit, there are 3 #10 and 6 #14 wires. The #10 wires are for the motor.. but what are the 6 other wires for? Does it make sense that they would all be used for the HOA? Is it two wires per position, from the relay enclosure out to the switch, and back to the enclosure? That's they only way I can see it being 6 wires.

Capture.jpg Capture1.jpg

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.7 KB · Views: 1

MattS87

Out of curiosity, have you looked in the enclosures where the conduit terminates? It could be that they pulled extra control wires for future use.

Out of curiosity, have you looked in the enclosures where the conduit terminates? It could be that they pulled extra control wires for future use.

It could be.. I have not looked inside the enclosure. Only reason I haven't is because it's a pain to schedule time with the electricians, and would have to schedule weeks in advance...:(

kwired

Electron manager
I have two 3-phase motors, and an HOA switch on both.

There is a separate conduit for both, from the switchrack out to the motor.

I'm relying on existing drawings for the wiring information. In each conduit, there are 3 #10 and 6 #14 wires. The #10 wires are for the motor.. but what are the 6 other wires for? Does it make sense that they would all be used for the HOA? Is it two wires per position, from the relay enclosure out to the switch, and back to the enclosure? That's they only way I can see it being 6 wires.

View attachment 21303 View attachment 21304
If I am seeing this correctly you have motor starter in one location and a run out to motor along with the HOA switch being supplied by that run. So you have your motor leads and control leads in the same conduit - for control leads I am seeing that must be run between the motor starter and HOA switch you have L1, L2 of the control power, one lead that connects to the HOA hand contact, one to the auto contact, and then on the bottom line of that diagram there is a "M" aux contact which is your motor starter it has two leads connected to it. Other wiring is other devices not so well defined(in what we were shown), but you do have those six leads I mentioned between the two points I mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.