Choosing a grounding system for a UPS... not sure which to go with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm spec'ing out a UPS. It's in a nonclassified area, 480V and 50KVA. I can choose either a high resistance ground or a solid ground... What factors should I consider in making this decision?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
A high resistance ground is used where you want continuity of power with an alarm on a line to ground
Solid ground system will open the OCPD on a line to ground or line to line.
Its really a design decision, but with a HRG you need a ground detector and you probably knew that.

A high resistance ground is used where you want continuity of power with an alarm on a line to ground
Solid ground system will open the OCPD on a line to ground or line to line.
Its really a design decision, but with a HRG you need a ground detector and you probably knew that.

By ground detector, do you mean a GFCT?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I'm spec'ing out a UPS. It's in a nonclassified area, 480V and 50KVA. I can choose either a high resistance ground or a solid ground... What factors should I consider in making this decision?

If you are using the UPS to supply standard receptacles, then I'm wondering if the NEC allows a HRG, or if it has to be a regular grounded system, like most normal receptacles would usually have.

Personally, I have never seen a HRG UPS.

publicgood

Would be highly unusual (and confusing for maintenance) to install HRG in a typ UPS installation. Especially such a small kva. Safety is key. Choose a solidly grounded system. You already have uninterruptible power as long as your DC source has capacity. Properly coordinate your breakers for higher reliability.

If you have an external bypass, you have even more considerations to make.

jeremy.zinkofsky

Is there a concern for high fault currents?

Does the UPS have an integral transformer?

If not, a solidly grounded system is more than sufficient in offering protection.

If you are using the UPS to supply standard receptacles, then I'm wondering if the NEC allows a HRG, or if it has to be a regular grounded system, like most normal receptacles would usually have.

Personally, I have never seen a HRG UPS.

The UPS is supplying three 9 kva transformers for subpanels, and 10+ motorized valves.

jeremy.zinkofsky

Status
Not open for further replies.