occupancy switch says neutral not needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
The lighted toggle switches were a neon light (NE-2 typically) and resistor in series with the switch contacts. When the switch was open, room light off, the little neon bulb was lit, so you could find the switch. Turn on the switch, room light is on, no need for the "night light" function to be on. No neutral needed, no fancy micro electronics were harmed in the process.:D

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
I have seen a few of these electronic devices that use the equipment grounding conductor as a neutral. I assume at some point they will disappear from stock.

I don't know - maybe not. I'm still seeing 2-prong receptacles in the stores.

I'd guess that, "electronic devices that use the equipment grounding conductor as a neutral" will be available until the houses built before 2008 code are gone.

RustyShackleford

Occupation
electrical engineer
I'd guess that, "electronic devices that use the equipment grounding conductor as a neutral" will be available until the houses built before 2008 code are gone.
I'm going to try connecting the green wire (which appears to go to the PCB within) to a neutral, and the bare wire (which appears to be connected directly to the yoke) to ground, and see if it still works. A quick call to Lutron tech support says I can't do this, but I'm not sure the guy was that knowledgeable.

Last edited:

retirede

The lighted toggle switches were a neon light (NE-2 typically) and resistor in series with the switch contacts. When the switch was open, room light off, the little neon bulb was lit, so you could find the switch. Turn on the switch, room light is on, no need for the "night light" function to be on. No neutral needed, no fancy micro electronics were harmed in the process.:D

Parallel with the contacts, not series.

The NE-2 is in series with the resistor and that assembly I’d parrelled with the switch.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Parallel with the contacts, not series.

The NE-2 is in series with the resistor and that assembly is parrelled with the switch.

Like this: (The ground is not connected to the light, you have to look close to see that)

1221-LHI2.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The NE-2/resistor is in parallel with the switch, which places it in series with the load when the switch is off.

RustyShackleford

Occupation
electrical engineer
I'm going to try connecting the green wire (which appears to go to the PCB within) to a neutral, and the bare wire (which appears to be connected directly to the yoke) to ground, and see if it still works.
i did this, and of course it works fine. Note: this is not for-hire work, nor is it within a dwelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.