cutting a conduit without severing wiring inside it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by myspark View Post
    The Luminaire is mounted on the stucco wall. The EMT is not supporting the fixture. What makes you think so?

You are referring to op's post right?
    I was. I may have missed the information about a wall mounted light.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Comment

Originally posted by myspark View Post
      A minimal rough edge on the pipe can be smoothened (if you so desire) even with your wife's or girlfriend's nail file.
      Ooooo, I do not recommend this - not worth the risk. What if the wife sees the file you borrowed from your girlfriend and puts two and two together??
      Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

Originally posted by electrofelon View Post
        Ooooo, I do not recommend this - not worth the risk. What if the wife sees the file you borrowed from your girlfriend and puts two and two together??

Perfect insight!

This carelessness could cause something else getting severed not just the pipe and wires.
        It could happen while you are passed out drunk and stoned after a whole night holiday soiree.

Comment

Originally posted by zbang View Post
          Are they DMX (which is electrically RS-422 differential pair) or 0-10v? Completely different animals. DMX usually uses 5-pin XLR-type connectors (or occasionally 3-pin XLR), but in reality any low-voltage connector will do. Use a location-compliant low-voltage cable from fixture to the connector, then take that into the new conduit.

If it is real DMX, I hope someone is paying attention to things like splitters and terminations.
          I would consider terminating the DMX cable to an XLR receptacle on a wall plate and install that near the power receptacle for the light, and use a male-to-female XLR pigtail to connect the DMX signal to the fixture.

The Chauvet DJ active DMX splitters we use support both 3-pin and 5-pin XLR connectors and have a 1/4-20 threaded insert on the back to accommodate a clamp, so they can either be rack-mounted or hung from a lighting support pipe or truss.
          Gregg

I'm just here for the pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by grich View Post
            The Chauvet DJ active DMX splitters we use support both 3-pin and 5-pin XLR connectors and have a 1/4-20 threaded insert on the back to accommodate a clamp, so they can either be rack-mounted or hung from a lighting support pipe or truss.
            I don't know about the Chauvet splitters, but not all splitters are the created equal.... My friend *hobbit* has an interesting page about what makes a good, or a really bad, splitter and why termination matters.

http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/lighting/dmxwave/ (complete with 'scope photos)

Comment

Originally posted by electrofelon View Post
              I wouldn't mess with either woman if they have a nail file that works well on steel.
              I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Strathead View Post
                I have both, used a tubing cutter, and one of those deburring tools. Usually the lip that is left is too much for the deburring tools to remove, honestly, at least. For Tom Baker, IMO the Klein scoring tools is really just a pipe cutter marketed under a different name. Using a sharp blade on a tubing cutter and using more revolutions in lieu of more pressure will reduce the lip. then I have still only found a rat tail file effective at removing the burr. I much more ideal way to do this work is to tie a string to the wires, pull them back and use a blade to cut the conduit. Still trying to prevent cutting the string, but if you do, it will just take some work to get it back out. One other thing I have done. Score it with a pipe cutter and then carefully cut around with a hack saw. Also, if you are putting a junction box on the end, the pipe can be cut about ten inches from the end first, since all you will need is 8 inches of wire when you are done.

From a specifying angle, and I am an estimator. I Would greatly appreciate you identifying the problems, but not the solution. Let me decide how to do it. Methods may change depending on the situation.
                The Klein took IS NOT a tubing cutter sold under name. It has a special cutting wheel that has a sharp edge but there is a shoulder above the edge that does not allow the cutting edge to cut through the wall of the conduit. It works great IF you have room enough to circle around the conduit 360° and enough room to do the "snap off". It also leaves a burr-free edge. It can cut 1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch EMT and is worth the $37 it costs at Homer's House...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X