120/240V, 3 Phase, 3 transformers on pole, closed delta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volt-Amps

The utility engineer said we will be getting our 3 phase power from a pole with 3 transformers. The service will be 120/240V, 3 phase. I asked if it's a high leg, he said closed delta and open delta are different, there is no high leg in a closed delta system and connecting to phase B is no problem.

Maybe I am doing too much reading on the internet because of the conflicting information I am getting. Could the experts please help with the following questions:

1. Would a 120/240V, 3 Phase closed delta service be a 3-phase, 4 wire or 3 phase, 3 wire? Would there be a neutral coming from utility?
  2. Would a 120/240V, 3 phase, closed delta service from utility have a high leg?
  3. If no high leg, does this mean on I can distribute loads anyway I want in my panel schedule without concern regarding phase B?
  4. If there is a high leg, is it similar to open delta with two transformers on the pole where phase B can't be used for 120V circuits?

I appreciate all the help.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If I remember correctly the closed Delta is made up of 3 transformers instead of two for the open Delta. Since you're getting 240 volts and 120 volts as Electro stated one of the transformers will have a center tap. You should end up with a 120/208/240, 3Ø, 4W Delta.

Volt-Amps

If I remember correctly the closed Delta is made up of 3 transformers instead of two for the open Delta. Since you're getting 240 volts and 120 volts as Electro stated one of the transformers will have a center tap. You should end up with a 120/208/240, 3Ø, 4W Delta.

So how is this different from 120/240V, 3 Phase open delta where you have 120/208/240, with 208V on the B phase?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So how is this different from 120/240V, 3 Phase open delta where you have 120/208/240, with 208V on the B phase?

I think it has to do with capacity. If I remembering correctly from apprentice school 30 years ago the open Delta gives you 58% of the closed Delta capacity. Someone will correct me if I've gotten it wrong. :)

Gary11734

I think it has to do with capacity. If I remembering correctly from apprentice school 30 years ago the open Delta gives you 58% of the closed Delta capacity. Someone will correct me if I've gotten it wrong. :)

I remember it as, 57%. They always made us say, Heinz 57 sauce!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think they taught us the 57 because I believe it's 75% less efficient than closed. So you would flip the numbers to remember both. At least that is in my head...

I thought about it a little and it rang a bell for me because we occasionally need to calculate conductors for Wye-start Delta-run fire pumps using this code section:

430.22(C) Wye-Start, Delta-Run Motor. For a wye-start, delta-
run connected motor, the ampacity of the branch-circuit
conductors on the line side of the controller shall not be
less than 125 percent of the motor full-load current as de-
termined by 430.6(A)(1). The ampacity of the conductors
between the controller and the motor shall not be less than
72 percent of the motor full-load current rating as deter-
mined by 430.6(A)(1).
Informational Note: The individual motor circuit conduc-
tors of a wye-start, delta-run connected motor carry 58 per-
cent of the rated load current. The multiplier of 72 percent
is obtained by multiplying 58 percent by 1.25.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The utility engineer said we will be getting our 3 phase power from a pole with 3 transformers. The service will be 120/240V, 3 phase. I asked if it's a high leg, he said closed delta and open delta are different, there is no high leg in a closed delta system and connecting to phase B is no problem.
The utility company needs to send their engineer to a good apprenticeship course.

Roger

Volt-Amps

1. Would a 120/240V, 3 Phase closed delta service be a 3-phase, 4 wire or 3 phase, 3 wire? Would there be a neutral coming from utility?
  2. Would a 120/240V, 3 phase, closed delta service from utility have a high leg?
  3. If no high leg, does this mean on I can distribute loads anyway I want in my panel schedule without concern regarding phase B?
  4. If there is a high leg, is it similar to open delta with two transformers on the pole where phase B can't be used for 120V circuits?.

:D:D:D Still need help with questions I posted earlier...Please

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
:D:D:D Still need help with questions I posted earlier...Please

You will have a neutral between the A and C phases.
You will have a high leg.
You cannot distribute your 1 phase loads equally across all 3 phases.
240/120V 3PH 4W is available from both open-delta and closed-delta configurations. This is a design choice by the utility.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
  1. Yes, there is a neutral from the source.
  1. Would a 120/240V, 3 phase, closed delta service from utility have a high leg?
  1. Yes.
  1. If no high leg, does this mean on I can distribute loads anyway I want in my panel schedule without concern regarding phase B?
There is a high leg in either configuration.

If there is a high leg, is it similar to open delta with two transformers on the pole where phase B can't be used for 120V circuits?
Yes it is.
Open or closed does not change the characteristics, it only removes one set of winding's

Roger

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.