Grounding Aluminum to a 5" cast water main

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2007

We are working on a project in Michigan and have to ground our MDP (1600A) to the water main. This in itself is not an problem but what have people done if we wanted to use Aluminum conductor sized at 250? I know i can get a copper clamp for a 5" pipe but struggle to find anything bigger than a 4" clamp for 250 aluminum. I would like to find a solution for the aluminum so any thoughts or ideas from past projects would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It might be easier to crimp on a short section of copper conductor to connect to the clamp if you can't find one for aluminum.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I once got a ground clamp from Burndy for an 8" ductile iron pipe, to be able to bond before the interior piping was done. I got the clamp from business that purchased left over electrial supplies
5" cast is an odd size...perhaps its 4"?
It may be easier to have the 4" tapped, install a "3/4" corp", come off the corp with a short section of 3/4" brass pipe, cap it. Bond to the brass pipe with a standard clamp. You will need to keep your Al 18" from the ground.
Water companies can hot tap water mains, they seldom shut the water to install a service line with a corp.

Status
Not open for further replies.