GFCI protection for pool sanitizing equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The code is clear about pump motors and GFCI protection. But what about other equipment such as chlorinators and the like? Many of these are direct wired so the receptacle GFCI protection requirement is invalid. And why would you not want all pool equipment to be GFCI protected?

retirede

The code is clear about pump motors and GFCI protection. But what about other equipment such as chlorinators and the like? Many of these are direct wired so the receptacle GFCI protection requirement is invalid. And why would you not want all pool equipment to be GFCI protected?

The chlorinator itself on my pool has an applied voltage up to 24 DC max. It is ultimately powered by the system controller which is 120 VAC.

Are you suggesting that the controller be GFCI protected? Good question.

My controller has an integral power panel capable of accepting up to 10 poles of breakers. It is fed from a 50A breaker in a sub panel. In order to provide GFCI, the 50A 2 pole would need to be a GFCI. It’s not currently.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
WE GFCI protect any of the related pool equipment and accessories.

Salt water generators require at least 110V to run the power center even though the salt cell itself does not require that.
Same for the pool heaters. They utilize 24V system but require line voltage to the internal transformer.

Edit: 680

I did read it. It calls for GFCI for "pumps" and cord and plug accessory equipment. It does not call for GFCI protection on hardwired accessory equipment. This is my confusion. I interpret it as all equipment. I know somebody will challenge this though without specific wording in the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.