Ridiculous law WA L&I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ridiculous law WA L&I

Im sure I will get flack for this post but I’m curious if any other states require electricians to wear your electrical liscence visible on your person? Washington L&I requires this for only electricians. Not HVAC nor plumbers just electricians. We have to wear them on the outside of our clothing and above the waist at all times while on the job. I’ve been doing electrical a long time and to me this is a ridiculous law that is nothing more than a way for inspectors to harass us and generate more revenue in fines. It has the potential to be a safety issue as well as an easy way to lose a very costly card when you take off a shirt or jacket and forget about it. Or it simple falls off unknowingly while your working. The plumbers in Washington fought it a few years back by claiming it was a security issue that by having to where personal information out in the open for all to see. They won. Maybe I’m getting too old but this feels very totalitarian and big government to me. What are your thoughts on this? What other states require this for the electricians or other trades? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

What kind one of the places that I work at occasionally is a government contractor so they have some fairly strict rules about getting into the place. I have to stop at the Guard Station and get a temporary badge whenever I go in. It's a normal clip-on badge. However when I took the safety orientation they said the badge must be placed in a pocket so that it won't get caught in anything when you are out on the floor which is where I always am. It seems pointless to have an id badge in your pocket.
    Bob

Comment

Originally posted by MDJ View Post
      The plumbers in Washington fought it a few years back by claiming it was a security issue that by having to where personal information out in the open for all to see. They won.
      Then you should pursue the exact same pathway they did, especially with there being a precedent.
      Master Electrician
      Electrical Contractor
      Richmond, VA

Comment

Wearing your license does seem ridiculous.

Comment

I agree that is silly. I work mostly in Seattle proper, and they are much more chill. I actually cant remember even once being asked for my license by Seattle DPD/DCI inspectors. I am actually not even sure where my license is, I haven't seen it in over a year!
          Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

Originally posted by Coppersmith View Post
            There is a law in Illinois that contractors have to have their license number on their vehicles. It doesn't seem to be all that well enforced.
            Bob

Comment

There was talk of requiring I’d of some sort on EC vehicles in our fair state some years ago, but it never got a full head of steam.
              Tom
              TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by MDJ View Post
                ... a security issue that by having to where personal information out in the open for all to see...
                That was my first thought when I read your first sentence. I won't let cashiers see my address on my ID, either.

Comment

Ridiculous law WA L&I

Originally posted by petersonra View Post
                  There is a law in Illinois that contractors have to have their license number on their vehicles. It doesn't seem to be all that well enforced.
                  In my fine Illinois city, only the plumbers seem to comply.

Who is responsible for enforcing this anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by retirede View Post

Presumably it's the responsibility of police. My guess is it was put into place just to give police another excuse to hassle people and extort money out of them with Revenue and pretext stops.
                    Bob

Comment

Originally posted by petersonra View Post
                      Presumably it's the responsibility of police. My guess is it was put into place just to give police another excuse to hassle people and extort money out of them with Revenue and pretext stops.
                      I honestly don’t know, but it would seem strange to me for this type of code-related enforcement to be carried out by the police....it’s kind of like who prosecutes a barber who cuts hair without a license? I would guess nothing happens in unless a complaint is filed.

Comment

Originally posted by Coppersmith View Post
                        I agree.
                        Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

hailing from a state who's bureaucracy markets failed apprentices better than licensed sparks lends me a particular view on the issue.....~RJ~

Comment

FWIW, at least no catch 22 in WA-, not required to violate OSHA

good ol' mammy state here.... BTW, plumbers are 'encouraged' to wear......
                            OTOH, when I walk thru the gate of many companies worldwide the company or visitors badge is required to be visible. In EU they often require you to leave your passport (or color copy) at the company gate when on production area properties.
                            WAC 296-46B-940(3): The certificate may be worn inside the outer layer of clothing when outer protective clothing (e.g. rain gear when working outside in the rain, arc flash, welding gear, etc.) is required. The certificate must be worn inside the protective clothing so that when the protective clothing is removed, the certificate is visible. A cold weather jacket or similar apparel is not protective clothing.
                            The certificate may be worn inside the outer layer of clothing when working in an attic or crawl space or when operating
                            equipment (e.g. drill motor, conduit threading machine, etc.) where wearing the certificate may pose an unsafe
                            condition for the individual. The certificate must be immediately available for examination at all times. When working as
                            a certified electrician, the electrician must not display a training certificate. When supervising a trainee(s), the
                            supervising electrician’s certificate must be appropriate for the work being performed by the trainee(s).
                            Any person working as an electrician or trainee must also possess government issued photo identification and
                            immediately present that identification when requested by the inspector. Visibly displaying your certificate while
                            performing an electrical installation allows the public, customers,and other workers to have the knowledge that properly certified persons are the ones doing the work.

This type thinking is sometimes taken to extremes - a co-worker I was riding with got a traffic ticket at an air force base for not wearing his seat belt - he neglected to turn off the car engine when he removed his seat belt to get his wallet out for ID at the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by retirede View Post

WA L&I electrical inspectors! Apparently they are now law enforcement also.

Comment

Working...
                              X