breakers for MWBC's

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you guys doing for the handle tie requirement for MWBC's when doing new commercial work? Say your typical 208/120.... Are you just using three pole breakers, or getting handle ties? Looking at QO, it seems a 320 is 60 bucks, and three single poles with the handle tie is about 30 bucks, half price. I havent checked other brands yet. Does it price out any differently for say factory ordered "real" panelboards with bolt ons? The advantage with the handle ties is you can take them off after inspection ;)

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
An advantage of handle ties is that, if one trips, you have power on the other 2 for lights and power to minimally trouble shoot, perhaps removing those 3 heaters under the desks<g>. With the 3 pole, an overload trip on 1 opens the other 2.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
An advantage of handle ties is that, if one trips, you have power on the other 2 for lights and power to minimally trouble shoot, perhaps removing those 3 heaters under the desks<g>. With the 3 pole, an overload trip on 1 opens the other 2.

:D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
SP's and handle ties works for me. Why waste the extra money on an internal trip 3 pole.

SP's and handle ties works for me. Why waste the extra money on an internal trip 3 pole.

Yeah thats what I am beginning to think. For some reason Ive always used three poles. However I am not sure siemens makes a three pole handle tie for their Q line (usually use those over overpriced QO) . The closest I found was siemens ECQTH3 and there is conflicting information on if it is for two or three poles. :?:

kwired

Electron manager
What are you guys doing for the handle tie requirement for MWBC's when doing new commercial work? Say your typical 208/120.... Are you just using three pole breakers, or getting handle ties? Looking at QO, it seems a 320 is 60 bucks, and three single poles with the handle tie is about 30 bucks, half price. I havent checked other brands yet. Does it price out any differently for say factory ordered "real" panelboards with bolt ons? The advantage with the handle ties is you can take them off after inspection ;)
For two single pole QO breakers and a handle tie, you spend about same as you do for a two pole breaker, independent vs common trip is the decision to make there, cost about same either way. Three poles is definitely less cost to go with handle ties.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
At one time some of the breaker manufacturers did not list a 3 pole handle ties as the did not want 3 singles used on a 3 phase load.
Looking in the catalog there is question in my mind if the QO tie they list will work on 3 SP. The pin looks like its too long to allow the 3rd breaker but someone here may have 1st hand knowledge

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
At one time some of the breaker manufacturers did not list a 3 pole handle ties as the did not want 3 singles used on a 3 phase load.

Still worked to put a piece of 10 AWG solid or right sized nail through the hole already in some handles:ashamed1:

Im sure manufacturers have an incentive to NOT offer 3 pole handle ties because they would rather sell you a more expensive three pole unit. Not sure if there is a difference between single poles and the individual units that are riveted together to make a three pole......Am I remembering correctly that all three pole breakers are straight not slash rated? If thats true than I could see a three pole justifiably costing more.

kwired

Electron manager
Im sure manufacturers have an incentive to NOT offer 3 pole handle ties because they would rather sell you a more expensive three pole unit. Not sure if there is a difference between single poles and the individual units that are riveted together to make a three pole......Am I remembering correctly that all three pole breakers are straight not slash rated? If thats true than I could see a three pole justifiably costing more.

Yes they are, for typical 240 volt breakers anyway. I know Square D NF is still 277/480 rated on all breakers - so they can't be used on delta systems at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.