Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

kwired

Electron manager
You're right that does look similar. On my current project we're installing NuHeat mats but in looking at their website it seems like the heat wire is a more flexible system but more work.
With product you linked to, it would be much less work than what I have seen. Tile guy around here has been the one I have seen install this, he has to cut out a groove in cement board subfloor and lay cable in it, then encapsulates it with an epoxy mixture. Then tests it before laying tile. This looks like it is a lot faster and less messy as well.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
I have the NuHeat mat in my bathroom, installed when the house was built 20 years ago. I love it. However, the supplied temperature sensor (thermocouple, I believe) failed after 5 years or so. I would definitely install a second sensor if I were doing it over. I was able to make a work-around, but it was quite a bit of work.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Schluter has a very similar system and it is a breeze to work with--

I've got experience with the Schluter membrane system, and agree that it is easy to lay out. There's always a slight difference in the way the heated portion of the cable lays out in reality, compared to what it looked like in the ordering process. I've found the snapping in of the heat cable into the notches of the membrane allows for quick altering of the routing to either take up a little more length, or use a little less length. Very slick.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
With product you linked to, it would be much less work than what I have seen. Tile guy around here has been the one I have seen install this, he has to cut out a groove in cement board subfloor and lay cable in it, then encapsulates it with an epoxy mixture. Then tests it before laying tile. This looks like it is a lot faster and less messy as well.

Teach the tile guy the correct way. Tell him to use 1/2" masonry board around the perimeter (3") and then use 1/4" board in the center areas. Then he can mud the entire area.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Teach the tile guy the correct way. .

I think that I would be interested in the nVent Nuheat Cable+Membrane type due to it being more flexible. Opinions?

I've bookmarked both your links & thx.

But the truth is i've been involved with so many tile heat scenarios gone bad that i'm just outta energy trying to get anyone's attention to 'do it right'

Why predicate one's company liability on the intergity of other trades?

~RJ~

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
You're right that does look similar. On my current project we're installing NuHeat mats but in looking at their website it seems like the heat wire is a more flexible system but more work.

i've done nuheat mats. this looks way more better, and it's a substrate uncoupler for
the tile as well. a good thing, floating the tile.

most anything schluter makes is about as good as it gets.

no matter which one you use, make sure that you have a supervisor on the mat, so someone
doesn't open or short it.

http://lp.nuheat.com/blog/nuheat-accessories

kwired

Electron manager
Teach the tile guy the correct way. Tell him to use 1/2" masonry board around the perimeter (3") and then use 1/4" board in the center areas. Then he can mud the entire area.
Been a while since I ran into this guy, but seem to recall he liked it in the groove and epoxy over it, that way it is protected when installing the tile.

He does warranty it and does repair it if it fails. Not having failures is a good thing I would think.

I was just happy he did it and not me. All I did was wire to the control thermostat box and he did the rest. If I ran the heat cables and he ding's one while installing tile, we have something to disagree over when it doesn't work later.

Status
Not open for further replies.