208 3ph to 230-240 Y transformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

208 3ph to 230-240 Y transformer

Wondering if it's OK to connect a 208 3ph 230-240Y 112kva transformer to a 3phase subpanel the input current is 100amps

Originally posted by Bill 12 View Post
    Wondering if it's OK to connect a 208 3ph 230-240Y 112kva transformer to a 3phase subpanel the input current is 100amps

Whats the 240Y for? Your source is 208 volts and the secondary is 240Y?

Comment

I'm curious, why that large of a transformer for a 100-amp circuit?

If you have the proper OCP in place, I don't believe the NEC has a problem in under using a transformer's rating. I have heard that transformers might waste more energy when lightly loaded.

Comment

It will feed a 3ph sub panel that is powering a bunch of 240 3ph equipment one is a 100amp welder.

https://www.larsonelectronics.com/p-...BoCQuwQAvD_BwE

This is the transformer they want me to get. Sorry it a 75kva not 112 that was wrong

Comment

It will feed a 3ph sub panel that is powering a bunch of 240 3ph equipment one is a 100amp welder.

This is the transformer they want me to get. Sorry it a 75kva not 112 that was wrong
          That transformer is single phase. You won't be able to power 240 3ph equipment with it.

Maybe the wrong link?

Comment

So I'm guessing that this will be a 3Ø, 3wire, 240 volt system without a neutral? If you need to supply any 120 volt loads then a 3Ø,4W Delta secondary might be better. A 240 volt Wye system has a phase to neutral voltage of 139 volts.
            Last edited by infinity; 03-14-19, 04:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
            Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Larson gave me 2 quotes here is the other one
              https://www.larsonelectronics.com/p-147482-.aspx

Comment

So we are trying to keep from running a new service which would entail changing a main panel to a 400amp and doing a hot tap and 200ft of new wire

Comment

Larson gave me 2 quotes here is the other one
                  https://www.larsonelectronics.com/p-147482-.aspx
                  112.5kva is the correct one.

Yes it can be done- make sure your sub panel has straight rated breakers only and no 120 volt loads.

Comment

OK cool. So if they wanted 120 also could I get a transformer that would do that also?

Comment

OK cool. So if they wanted 120 also could I get a transformer that would do that also?

You would use the 208 volt system for that.

Comment

Look at post #6.
                        Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Very confusing thread; let's try to clarify:

So you HAVE a 208V 3 phase system, right?

They WANT you to supply their equipment with 240V 3 phase, is that right?

If so, on that 240V system, do they need you to have 120V single phase as well?
                          __________________________________________________ ____________________________
                          Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

Comment

So we are trying to keep from running a new service which would entail changing a main panel to a 400amp and doing a hot tap and 200ft of new wire
                            Have you done a load calculation for the new equipment? Is there room in the existing service load calculation to accept the new loads?

And that 112 kVA transformer is overkill for a 100-amp sub panel.

Comment

Yes there was. Well they ended up not using the transformer they ended up doing a new 400amp panel, disconnects 200ft of wire and $24,000

Comment

Working...
                              X