I cant fix the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB1964

53712800_10218630716582622_3682640946844925952_n.jpg
Do you have to correct this if you put your hands on it ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Did you add some wires to it? Then yes. If you opened it up then I would just close it and walk away... Not sure that would close up. :D

BTW, welcome to the forum

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Methinks you have inherited a box fill violation and if you have to add anything there, you may own it now even though the last guy (or last 5 guys) that put things in there should have owned it and increased the box size.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It's funny how that same exact box is found everywhere.

Roger

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
53712800_10218630716582622_3682640946844925952_n.jpg

you took a picture of it so it belongs to you now.

seriously, it looks to me like the tangle of wires could be cleaned up in a half hour or so. it looks like there is plenty of room if the wires are neatened up some. it is always surprising to me how much less space wires take up when they are in a box in a neat way instead of just jammed in any old way.

growler

Methinks you have inherited a box fill violation .

It may be a little worse than that.

That looks like an old panel used as a junction box and piped to a new panel. If that nipple is longer than 24" then they would have to de-rate all those conductors in that 1 1/2" or 2" conduit. I don't know how many conductors are in that conduit but it looks like a lot.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I'm not poor nor am I new at this game.( 30 years exp ) And I have seen worse than this quite often . I just wanted opinions not smart a__ remarks thank you .
Lighten up, you are in fact new here and no remarks have been derogatory.

Roger

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I'm not poor nor am I new at this game.( 30 years exp ) And I have seen worse than this quite often . I just wanted opinions not smart a__ remarks thank you .

He meant new to this forum and he was referring to the many ridiculous wiring pix that have been posted in here over the years. Nothing derogatory was intended, I am sure.

growler

Worse than this one? This is the worst I have seen...

I wonder what type of electrician would do something like that to start with.

If it wasn't done by an electrician then what types of mistakes may have been made that would require another electrician to come in.

I think I could clean that mess up to where it would fit in the box but it would take a little time. Probably start with some ground bars and get rid of a lot of those green wires. Keep everything numbered properly so if there ever is a problem then would have such a rats nest to deal with.

I think you would have to correct this if you did any work on it because without a cover it could be seen as a hazardous situation. Leaving a hazard that you have just worked on wouldn't be a good idea.

Edit: If they don't want to pay to have this repaired correctly I would just walk away from it.

kwired

Electron manager

I though was a fair question no matter how long you have been in the trade.

If you can actually tuck that in and get the cover on, maybe your liability is less. The fact you seen it, increases your liability if you did nothing about it. How much liability is effected either way is hard to put any exact amount on.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
you took a picture of it so it belongs to you now.

seriously, it looks to me like the tangle of wires could be cleaned up in a half hour or so. it looks like there is plenty of room if the wires are neatened up some. it is always surprising to me how much less space wires take up when they are in a box in a neat way instead of just jammed in any old way.

That looks like a half day project to me including coordination.

Locate and coordinate the shutting down of all circuits in the box.
Grind paint and install ground bar in the back of the box. Trim ground wires to length and re-terminate.
One at a time, untangle, shorten and re-splice existing wiring.

If extra time is available: Identify and group existing bc's together after re-splicing.

kwired

Electron manager
That looks like a half day project to me including coordination.

Locate and coordinate the shutting down of all circuits in the box.
Grind paint and install ground bar in the back of the box. Trim ground wires to length and re-terminate.
One at a time, untangle, shorten and re-splice existing wiring.

If extra time is available: Identify and group existing bc's together after re-splicing.

He didn't say everything would still work after the half hour clean up, just that it could be cleaned up in half an hour.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.