I cant fix the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
. I just wanted opinions not smart a__ remarks thank you .

If they don't want to pay to have this repaired correctly I would just walk away from it.

I've a lot of experience in slums , not exactly something i'm proud of.

But the OP's pix is ,in one form or another, a daily routine.

Often being caught between the AHJ and such customers can be uncomfortable.

And we did have one that insisted we fix the world.

so.......

If they cite it, i'll place a $$$ on it , if they don't pay i don't appear for a final

that's how i roll....

what say the ahj's here?

~S~

kwired

Electron manager
I've a lot of experience in slums , not exactly something i'm proud of.

But the OP's pix is ,in one form or another, a daily routine.

Often being caught between the AHJ and such customers can be uncomfortable.

And we did have one that insisted we fix the world.

so.......

If they cite it, i'll place a $$$ on it , if they don't pay i don't appear for a final

that's how i roll....

what say the ahj's here?

~S~
I say some of what you decide to do depends on rules of the particular jurisdiction, if refusing to correct a citation means a blow to your license status, you may fix it anyway, or at least have further discussion with AHJ about the situation instead of just blowing it off.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I say some of what you decide to do depends on rules of the particular jurisdiction, if refusing to correct a citation means a blow to your license status, you may fix it anyway, or at least have further discussion with AHJ about the situation instead of just blowing it off.

I actually looked up our states regs on this a while ago kwired

but my (and my states) rules side w/the EC

no pay= no fix

~RJ~

kwired

Electron manager
I actually looked up our states regs on this a while ago kwired

but my (and my states) rules side w/the EC

no pay= no fix

~RJ~
Whether you have been paid or not shouldn't be any of their business and therefore shouldn't matter when it comes to compliance with their rules.

At same time they can refuse to allow occupancy or to order POCO to shut off power with something that hasn't cleared their inspection process and that becomes motivation for owner to do something. Plus they may not further penalize the contractor if he would reveal the situation. Ignoring citations by default just makes them go to the next step on the order of procedures.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Whether you have been paid or not shouldn't be any of their business and therefore shouldn't matter when it comes to compliance with their rules.

At same time they can refuse to allow occupancy or to order POCO to shut off power with something that hasn't cleared their inspection process and that becomes motivation for owner to do something. Plus they may not further penalize the contractor if he would reveal the situation. Ignoring citations by default just makes them go to the next step on the order of procedures.

Compliance, however, is technically the responsibility of the tenant/owner, not the EC. The contractor is just the tenant/owner's agent to achieve compliance. The AHJ can certainly withhold approval, but I don't see how he can force the EC to do anything for which there is no contract.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Compliance, however, is technically the responsibility of the tenant/owner, not the EC. The contractor is just the tenant/owner's agent to achieve compliance. The AHJ can certainly withhold approval, but I don't see how he can force the EC to do anything for which there is no contract.
Exactly, an AHJ (or anyone else for that matter) can never order me to perform non contracted work, he, it, or whatever can take it up with the owner, GC, or other responsible party.

I will bring issues to the attention of the responsible party but that is where it stops until a supplement to my contract or an agreement is made.

Roger

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Exactly, an AHJ (or anyone else for that matter) can never order me to perform non contracted work, he, it, or whatever can take it up with the owner, GC, or other responsible party.

But of course the AHJ can refuse to pass you on the inspection and catch you between him and the customer.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
But of course the AHJ can refuse to pass you on the inspection and catch you between him and the customer.

Only if you deliberately choose to work on something you know is not up to code. If you work on it most times you kind of own it.

I think this box could be cleaned up a lot with some zip ties to get rid of some of the mess. I would not try and shorten the wires or redo the connections. I think you could just zip ite the wires so they were less messy and call it a day. Would not take real long and probably would not require rewiring anything.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Wouldn't matter to me, when the work that has been agreed to is completed I will bill the customer, they can take the rest up with the AHJ and have me do the corrections or hire another EC.

Roger

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Right now, as i type this, my (newly installed AHJ) has informed me of all the open permits i have.

I've responded i'm availble at his convenience ,and will make every effort to provide entry as liasion to those jobs i've done.

I am ,and remain, ever accomodating....

Many of these are slums , all white trash

When i do walk him through, he's going to see things most of you post in this forum as rather 'objectionable'

IE~what i did 'touch' will probably pass, what 'exists' wil not

My AHJ will then 'write it up' , and forward this to the property owner, with my blessings, in fact i'm more than happy to point much of it out so that he do so

What will happen next is either total ignorace of said directive, or negotiations for estimates towards compliance.

My question to this forums biz entities that are not some sort of philanthropy is, why would one be involved in anything less than what's in your back pocket?

~RJ~

kwired

Electron manager
Are EI's the contract police or just code enforcement and other jurisdiction rules enforcement?

It is my opinion you can have a contract that clearly spells out a lot of code violations and that shouldn't matter one bit to the inspector, he is to inspect to the code that is adopted as the law in the jurisdiction.

Some jurisdictions the owner is the one that files permits - those cases the corrections are technically between the owner and AHJ, but the contractor is owners agent. Other places the contractor is the one that must file permits. Responsibility of code compliance is easy to determine on new projects because it all is new. It gets more complex when dealing with existing violations before work ever started and there isn't one answer fits all for those circumstances. A good contractor sees those problems and addresses them early on instead of "wait and see what the inspector says when we are all done". Some relatively minor things they may do the wait and see thing, other times they may just correct them, knowing a reinspection fee or other issues may cost more than just fixing it does.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Are EI's the contract police or just code enforcement and other jurisdiction rules enforcement?

It is my opinion you can have a contract that clearly spells out a lot of code violations and that shouldn't matter one bit to the inspector, he is to inspect to the code that is adopted as the law in the jurisdiction.

Some jurisdictions the owner is the one that files permits - those cases the corrections are technically between the owner and AHJ, but the contractor is owners agent. Other places the contractor is the one that must file permits. Responsibility of code compliance is easy to determine on new projects because it all is new. It gets more complex when dealing with existing violations before work ever started and there isn't one answer fits all for those circumstances. A good contractor sees those problems and addresses them early on instead of "wait and see what the inspector says when we are all done". Some relatively minor things they may do the wait and see thing, other times they may just correct them, knowing a reinspection fee or other issues may cost more than just fixing it does.

Maybe all that nonsense applies to you but not most. If I'm asked to contract a detached building I'll write up a scope of work and that's what I will be responsible for. Any existing problems found by an inspector inside the building where the detached building is going to be fed from can be written up and given to the owner, they can address them. That was just an example, you can change it to any scenario you want

For existing buildings I will also note in the contract wording that existing deficiencies or unseen problems can be addressed as extras.

Roger

m sleem

Exemplary Сasual Dating - Genuine Females
Occupation
Health
I'm not poor nor am I new at this game.( 30 years exp ) And I have seen worse than this quite often . I just wanted opinions not smart a__ remarks thank you .
Calm down friend, smiling is one of the forum natures, you're in the world very technical forum in electrical engineering :D

Status
Not open for further replies.