Unplugging Appilances when not in use

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
My wife wants the toaster unplugged when not in use. I have seen somewhere "unplug appilances when not in use". Now I find the toaster receptacle is getting loose. Is there a sound reason to unplug appliances?
If I replace the receptacle it would have to be a AFCI type (already GFCI'd).

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
My wife wants the toaster unplugged when not in use. I have seen somewhere "unplug appilances when not in use". Now I find the toaster receptacle is getting loose. Is there a sound reason to unplug appliances?
I've installed switch next to the receptacle for this exact reason. If a single gang box increase to a two gang if possible. Problem solved. Nothing additional to do since you are not extending the circuit.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager

I'd replace the receptacle with another non AFCI protected receptacle in my own house for certain, probably many others houses as well in situation where inspecting isn't going to happen.

but for liability reasons I never said that:)

I trust unplugging the toaster when not in use as being a much more critical step at preventing fires than making sure that toaster has AFCI protection. My MIL wanted me to fix a problem with a toaster she had - not electrical, just the bread support arm on one side came detached. That thing was so cheaply built, I wouldn't leave it plugged in when not in use no matter how advanced the circuit protection is ahead of it might be, heat sources are fire sources period.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

What does she think about leaving the washer and dryer plugged in?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I've installed switch next to the receptacle for this exact reason. If a single gang box increase to a two gang if possible. Problem solved. Nothing additional to do since you are not extending the circuit.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

You have modified the circuit. IMO, you need afci

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The only reason to unplug an appliance when not in use is to save the tiny bit of energy it's electronics uses when idle. This is a poor reason unless you are a major skinflint. If it has no electronics, then there is no good reason.

I can understand unplugging a clothes iron because older ones don't auto-shutoff, but a toaster? Only if I need that outlet, and I don't. I've also seen people unplug appliances and wrap up the cords because it looks neater to them.

growler

Folks I hate to tell you this but if you look at the newer fire safety tips they do suggest that you unplug appliances when not in use.

I have never bothered to do so but I guess the switch on a toaster could stick and allow it to produce heat and ignite the bread crumbs. Or maybe they assume there could be a nick in the appliance cord.

Sooner or later we are going to live such long safe boring lives we will all want to commit suicide.:slaphead:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems

Does the toaster have circuitry that stays live when it's not being used (most don't)? If not, other than a minuscule risk of fire if you were to slam the cord in a door or something, I can't think of a reason to unplug it. But why would you have to replace it with AFCI? Who would know or care if you didn't?

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Some of the 'ol birds around town unplug when not in use , which seems to be an old wives tale i ignored ....:roll:

until my place was hit by lightning ......:(

~RJ~

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
until my place was hit by lightning ......:(

Excuse me Sir. Can I interest you in a whole house surge protector? Not only does it protect all your electronics and appliances from damaging lightning strikes, but in the unlikely event something is damaged, the included $50,000 protection policy will replace the effected item. Just sign here. How's next Tuesday at 9am for installation?

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Excuse me Sir. Can I interest you in a whole house surge protector? Not only does it protect all your electronics and appliances from damaging lightning strikes, but in the unlikely event something is damaged, the included $50,000 protection policy will replace the effected item. Just sign here. How's next Tuesday at 9am for installation?

LOL, hey.... that's my shtick !!! :cool:

~RJ~

Adamjamma

You have modified the circuit. IMO, you need afci

I myself do not think adding a double pole 20 amp switch to an outlet as a modified circuit but... if you do not wish to add a bigger box, they make outlets with a switch on them so you can use that.. and since technically you have not added anything but simply changed the device then it should not be a problem.

I love UK outlets because most all have Tamper Resistant plug systems and an on off switch as standard so no straining the cords by unplugging them.

kwired

Electron manager
Does the toaster have circuitry that stays live when it's not being used (most don't)? If not, other than a minuscule risk of fire if you were to slam the cord in a door or something, I can't think of a reason to unplug it. But why would you have to replace it with AFCI? Who would know or care if you didn't?
406.4(D)(4) doesn't require an AFCI device, but does require AFCI protection. Right or wrong, if it is not being inspected you probably get away with not providing AFCI.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
406.4(D)(4) doesn't require an AFCI device, but does require AFCI protection. Right or wrong, if it is not being inspected you probably get away with not providing AFCI.
If you replace an outlet with exactly what was there before, are you bound to upgrade it to code? I thought not, but I am frequently wrong. :D

Tony S

Is your wife in some way related to my mother?

We had the same nightly ritual at bed time. Two electricians in the house and we still couldn't convince her so we took the easy way out Just agree and disconnected everything. It made life a damn site easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.