Fishing low voltage cable in an exisitng wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shujinko

I have a client that wants to fish (free wire) some CAT6 data cables and HDMI AV cables down an existing wall vertically without conduit down to an outlet box. In another case he wants to put the AV HDMI cable and CAT6 cable in the same existing 1" conduit in a wall.

Are either of these scenarios against code? If so what code does it violate?

MAC702

Both are those are done every day. I've run non-terminated smurf tube in new construction, just so I could fish LV cables easily through it later. Much more often, I'm using a fish stick to get them up or down the stud bay in a finished wall.

There are sometimes local codes about requiring conduit in commercial buildings, or something like that.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If I were to ever build a house, I would stub a 1" conduit up or down from a box in each room, and two 2" conduits from attic to crawl, or to a closet if on a slab, plus, a conduit from service point to that closet.

kwired

Electron manager
This is for a University not a residential application. Any code issues with this?
finish ratings of walls can be an issue depending on what kind of box or other closure is used where penetrating the wall surface and maybe also depends on whether there are penetrations on both sides of wall or not.

No required finish rating - you can do almost anything you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.