EMI problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdgiffin

Hi guys,

This is my first post here and am really do so because I am desperate and need to get a few other opinions. I run a small overdub recording studio from my home and when I moved to my current spot, the amount of EMI picked up in voice-coil (magnetic field) microphones and electric instruments is at a level that I am unable to track anything. I have done extensive testing in the house myself, have had my electrician out, borrowed an ammeter to take reading over a span of 2 weeks, and had the Electrical company out, with no resolve. Let me give you the story (I apologize in advance for the novel).

To preface, I am not an electrician, I am an audio engineer/musician so I have a very basic understanding of this stuff but luckily have a good friend who's a master electrician.

For all tests, I analyzed my gear both using power from the wall and as well as a mobile rig running off of a battery powered laptop and a USB powered recording interface, so no power from the house was being used at all. The latter was the rig I used to conduct most of my testing as I could move around the house easily.

First thing I did was shut off all circuits on the panel, aside from the Mains. When turning off large appliances, (dryer, fridge, etc.) the buzz/noise diminished somewhat, but very little. When I turned off the Mains, the sound remained. This rings true if I have the recording rig in my studio, the living room, or in the basement 2ft. from the panel. I called my electrician and he checked grounding in the outlets, no issues, I am getting good clean current, and for a house built in 1910, we are lucky enough to have a place that was rewired by the previous owner; so good solid wiring and grounding wire. He also checked all connections in the panel and everything it well connected and tight. My electrician is convinced that there is backfeed from a neighbour downstream causing all of this nonsense.

Here comes the ammeter adventure. While we had the Mains off, we checked the ground wires. One goes to the telecommunication box and the other to the copper water main. The ground to the tele box read 0.0-0.3 amps if it read anything at all but the water bond read over 3A. It was also fluctuating. We turned the Mains back on and the reading rose but not by a whole lot. He left the ammeter with me and over the next 2 weeks, at varying times during the day, I got consistent readings at 2.5A, 6-7A, 9.5A, and a spike at over 16A! The most consistent reading I had was in the 3A range.

So yesterday I called the service company and they tested their lines and stated that everything was ok on their end. The dude was somewhat sympathetic to my situation and seemed to want to help, although he immediately scoffed at the notion that it could be a backfeed problem. Damn linesmen. Anyway, he ended up replace the hot, neutral, & ground service lines from the secondary, in an effort to eliminate all possibilities. While he was doing this, I setup my mobile, battery powered recording rig to see if there was any change once the lines were reconnected. The moment he dropped the lines from my home, the infernal buzz disappeared. It was like the heavens had opened and for 30 minutes I was in bliss. As soon as the new lines were connected and power returned to the home, the buzz returned.

This linesman inspected our meter, an older analog meter on an old school circular meter base. He is convinced that the meter base is the problem and needs to be replaced with a new one. While he removed the analog meter to show me how old the base was, the buzz in my recording signal diminished, enough that I noticed from a few feet away. When he put the analog meter back in, I got more noise. So he grabbed a new digital one and put it in the base, less noise than the analog one, but still unacceptable. The linesman left, told me that a dude will come by in a couple of days with some wizard laser on his truck to analyze the lines and that I'll get an email.

I called my electrician, and he is still convinced it is backfeed. His next test, once the ground thaws, is to dig a hole, pull the water bond and test that ground line to a ground plate to see if we are receiving this mess through the city's water system or a neighbour.

So, until the ground here in Canada thaws, I will continue living with the insufferable buzz. In the meantime, I thought I'd check in with the internet and see what you all have to offer for advice/expertise. Thanks in advance for any & all help.

Scott

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If you have a neighbor on the same POCO transformer and you both share an electrically continuous water supply pipe system, there is a good chance that one of your neighbors has a compromised POCO neutral, causing some of his neutral current to flow over the water pipe to your service neutral.
If he has noisy loads, like dimmers or computer power supplies, that can introduce noise into your ground system that is radiated from your wiring.
Temporarily disconnecting your neutral bond to water pipe would diagnose this.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
one of the first things i would have done is run temporary dedicated circuit from the panel to some verified outlets- the branch circuit you are using for the gear wasnt eliminated per your post. sometimes polarity in your gear and the house can make noise. what type of recorder is your mics plugged into? laptop? digital? analog?

by temporary I mean a set- up much like a temp power pedestal..

sdgiffin

one of the first things i would have done is run temporary dedicated circuit from the panel to some verified outlets- the branch circuit you are using for the gear wasnt eliminated per your post. sometimes polarity in your gear and the house can make noise. what type of recorder is your mics plugged into? laptop? digital? analog?

by temporary I mean a set- up much like a temp power pedestal..

There is a dedicated circuit in the panel to a single outlet in the basement about a foot from the panel. I tested there, same issue.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
welcome to trouble shooting. still it needs to be ruled out. ive been through it. what recording gear? pro tools or analog?

sdgiffin

welcome to trouble shooting. still it needs to be ruled out. ive been through it. what recording gear? pro tools or analog?

ProTools. Universal Audio interfaces. I do most large recordings at studios, piano, drums, etc. but do vocals, guitar, and keys overdubs at home. As per the original post, I tried to eliminate using any power outlets when testing so I used a brand new, out of box, M-Audio USB-C interface that is powered via USB. Sitting outside, on my porch provided the same interference. Driving me nuts! haha.

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
You definitely have a neighboring neutral current issue and may also have some electrical noise.
The neutral issue or NET current will most certainly cause audio issues.
Locate the other people serviced from that same transformer. Ask those if you can have your electrician check with a amp meter at their neutral to see if there is current on the Grounding electrode conductor or at other points on the ground system.
I would bet that there is something going on there.
That is where I would start at this point.

Also get hold of a Gauss meter, walk the properties see where the magnetic fields are greatest. The greater the field would be a indicator.

ghostbuster

I have to 100% agree with goldigger !

I had 8 amps continuous running into the house via the copper waterline--with all the power turned off.

Installed dielectric coupling on the waterline and regrounded the electrical panel.

Problem solved in less then 2 hours

Good luck and maybe you should listen to your electrician and goldigger

:D

sdgiffin

I have to 100% agree with goldigger !

I had 8 amps continuous running into the house via the copper waterline--with all the power turned off.

Installed dielectric coupling on the waterline and regrounded the electrical panel.

Problem solved in less then 2 hours

Good luck and maybe you should listen to your electrician and goldigger

:D

Good to hear there are some easy solutions out there! I am definitely listening to my electrician but since he's a buddy and doing the work probono, I don't want to badger him too much. Thought I'd reach out here and get some confirmations and more info to educate myself. Glad there are forums with guys like yourselves to help musicians like me. :cool:

sdgiffin

You definitely have a neighboring neutral current issue and may also have some electrical noise.
The neutral issue or NET current will most certainly cause audio issues.
Locate the other people serviced from that same transformer. Ask those if you can have your electrician check with a amp meter at their neutral to see if there is current on the Grounding electrode conductor or at other points on the ground system.
I would bet that there is something going on there.
That is where I would start at this point.

Also get hold of a Gauss meter, walk the properties see where the magnetic fields are greatest. The greater the field would be a indicator.

Thanks for the reply and confirmation to our hypothesis. I'll get my hands on a Gauss meter but I did try the old AM radio set to the lowest frequency trick and the interference is loudest by the water main and then the power meter.

gar

Occupation
EE
190319-1608 EDT

sdgiffin:

I believe you are encountering stray magnetic fields.

The disconnection of the service lines and then no noise is the key identifier of the problem.

I suspect your noise (RFI)(not really radiated radio waves, but near field magnetic effects) is mostly 60 Hz, but there could be higher frequency noise as well.

If you have a single wire with current flowing thru the wire, and the return path for that current is moderately far away, then there is a substantial magnetic field around that wire in near proximity to the wire. If you move the return path to be immediately adjacent to the first wire, the two wires tight together, then because the two currents are in opposite directions their magnetic fields mostly cancel each other when you are a short distance from the wire pair.

I suspect you have current coming in from one or more of the service lines and leaving by some other path. Thus, creating a large open loop.

It was only when all three service lines were disconnected that your noise went away. This means that neither of the two hots or neutral was connected. When the service lines were connected and the meter was removed there was still noise. In this case the neutral path was not opened, and thus current flow on the neutral service line and back out via the water line or something else was creating a big open magnetic loop.

See #7 by Sierrasparky.

A several thousand turn air core coil and a AC meter that can resolve 10 microvolts makes a good gauss meter.

If a neighbor has a neutral problem even a ground rod at your home with your water pipe opened may allow enough current flow for noise generation.

sdgiffin

190319-1608 EDT

sdgiffin:

I believe you are encountering stray magnetic fields.

The disconnection of the service lines and then no noise is the key identifier of the problem.

I suspect your noise (RFI)(not really radiated radio waves, but near field magnetic effects) is mostly 60 Hz, but there could be higher frequency noise as well.

If you have a single wire with current flowing thru the wire, and the return path for that current is moderately far away, then there is a substantial magnetic field around that wire in near proximity to the wire. If you move the return path to be immediately adjacent to the first wire, the two wires tight together, then because the two currents are in opposite directions their magnetic fields mostly cancel each other when you are a short distance from the wire pair.

I suspect you have current coming in from one or more of the service lines and leaving by some other path. Thus, creating a large open loop.

It was only when all three service lines were disconnected that your noise went away. This means that neither of the two hots or neutral was connected. When the service lines were connected and the meter was removed there was still noise. In this case the neutral path was not opened, and thus current flow on the neutral service line and back out via the water line or something else was creating a big open magnetic loop.

See #7 by Sierrasparky.

A several thousand turn air core coil and a AC meter that can resolve 10 microvolts makes a good gauss meter.

If a neighbor has a neutral problem even a ground rod at your home with your water pipe opened may allow enough current flow for noise generation.

Good things to know. I'm meeting a senior field inspector from the POCO on Thursday that investigates this type of thing. Apparently he helped another customer that's an avid HAM Radio collector and was experiencing similar problems. After 6 weeks of investigating, he found the problem 1.5 miles away. So, I have yet to give up hope that the POCO will lend a helping hand.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
gar said:

As you may or may not know, those of us in the communications segment use a simple tone generator with a pickup probe to trace and identify wires. The probe is a high gain audio amp with a speaker and the probe tip connected directly to the input of the amp.

Using this all the time really gives you a sense of what interference is out there. Many times you cannot hear the tone over the 60Hz noise. Many times you have to turn off the fluorescent lights.

The absolute weirdest and worst I ever encountered was at an old abandoned water bottling plant. Just walking around outside on the property with my probe it would blast 60 Hz and harmonics. I had no idea where it was coming from except it seemed to get louder as you walked towards the woods where I think the spring and pumps were. Nothing was operational for a very long time. There were primaries headed that way but they were cut at the pole on the street.

-Hal

gar

Occupation
EE
190319-2352 EDT

hbiss:

I suspect your pickup probe is a coil with possibly a magnetic core. This should be direction sensitive, and thus provide a means to determine magnetic field direction. Good tool for looking for stray AC magnetic fields.

gar

Occupation
EE
190320-1423 EDT

hbiss:

Whether there is a magnetic core or not the sensor will still be direction sensitive.

If it is an air core coil, then maximum induced voltage is when the axis of the coil is parallel to the magnetic field direction.

Thus, a current in a single wire will produce a maximum induced voltage in the coil for the coil at a fixed distance from the wire when the coil axis is in a plane perpendicular to the wire, and the coil center is in a plane that includes the wire. This may not be clear even if I wrote it correctly.

The magnetic field vectors around a straight wire are circles in a plane perpendicular to the wire. See https://byjus.com/physics/magnetic-field-current-conductor/ .

I did not find a good site with a picture of a coil and adjacent single wire showing position for maximum induced voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.