Rough Electrical Inspection, what does that mean to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

presidentsdad

Hi all,
Project: Putting in a Sub Panel in my outdoor shed, running 40 amp service from my main box, under ground, to the shed.

I just got my permit for this, but since I have never actually gotten a permit for work, I'm not 100% certain of the process for getting ready for the "rough" inspection. Usually, if I'm just adding an outlet, I do the work and move on, so no permit necessary.

I assume that I'll need to do the following to the wires coming from the new sub panel: Condense my grounds down to a single lead (either with greenie wire nut or ground clips). Then for the Hots and Neutrals, pig-tail, then cap each pigtail individually and coil neatly in the boxes. Is this correct?

Additional question: for the rough inspection, what do I need to do with the circuit breaker in the main panel and the wire from the main panel to the new sub panel?

Additional Info: I'll be using #8 3 conductor with ground UF wire from the box to the panel in a 24 inch deep trench with conduit cover the entry and exit points. Overall distance is about 115 feet, so #8 is needed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.eminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.