Continuity bet bus bars in a panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Getting continuity between the two bus bars in a residential service panel. I’m confused. House has one dead phase. Replaced the main breaker. Suggestions ? Now removed all breakers, no continuity now between the two bus bars.

kwired

Electron manager
Getting continuity between the two bus bars in a residential service panel. I’m confused. House has one dead phase. Replaced the main breaker. Suggestions ? Now removed all breakers, no continuity now between the two bus bars.
Were all the breakers open (off) when checking continuity? If closed you could get continuity through any connected loads.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Were all the breakers open (off) when checking continuity? If closed you could get continuity through any connected loads.
You were right. Only when the two pole water heater breaker is on, we get continuity between the two bus bars, and continuity between the two #10 wires going to the heater. Is that normal?

kwired

Electron manager
You were right. Only when the two pole water heater breaker is on, we get continuity between the two bus bars, and continuity between the two #10 wires going to the heater. Is that normal?
If the water in the tank is below set point temp, yes you should have continuity through the water heater. Same for any other loads that connect between both bus bars, directly or indirectly through the neutral bus, and are in an "on" state.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
If the water in the tank is below set point temp, yes you should have continuity through the water heater. Same for any other loads that connect between both bus bars, directly or indirectly through the neutral bus, and are in an "on" state.
Thank you. I probably knew that at one point but have forgotten that. It turns out the job we are called to has a POCO problem and not on our side after all. But thank you for your help so quickly ! Sometimes I have a question on a job and don’t know if anyone has time to answer me while still on the job. You all have been a big help.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Read the ohms on your meter instead of just listening for the beep. ;) If it says more than a few ohms that is not a dead short, that is probably a reading through one or more loads.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Read the ohms on your meter instead of just listening for the beep. ;) If it says more than a few ohms that is not a dead short, that is probably a reading through one or more loads.

:thumbsup:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.