De-energizing overhead line request questions to National Grid Western Ma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syoung1

I just made a request to NG Elec Ops Dept to de-energize an overhead electrical line. I got a work order number, they want to know how long I would like it. I asked from 1 to 3 months or all summer. They said for that long:
" the service would be removed from the house and then reestablished at a later date."

Why, are they BSing; Is there a charge for the de-energize line and/or disconnect reconnect. I have asked these questions to NG, but no answer yet. Any suggestions. I am denergizing the line to remove a deck interwined with the overhead line to the house. No one living at the house. The Power is already off from the meter to the house interior.
Thanks

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Your answer will have to come from the Power Company which you already have talked to. Each POCO is different and have their own rules. NEC has no control over them and their policies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I just made a request to NG Elec Ops Dept to de-energize an overhead electrical line. I got a work order number, they want to know how long I would like it. I asked from 1 to 3 months or all summer. They said for that long:
" the service would be removed from the house and then reestablished at a later date."

Why, are they BSing; Is there a charge for the de-energize line and/or disconnect reconnect. I have asked these questions to NG, but no answer yet. Any suggestions. I am denergizing the line to remove a deck interwined with the overhead line to the house. No one living at the house. The Power is already off from the meter to the house interior.
Thanks

So, why is that a problem?? Sounds like they are making the job easier for you.

-Hal

JoeyD74

Occupation
Electrical contractor
They will require an inspection before they reconnect the house. I had a house last year that they disconnected, wrong house on their part, no work being done or anything at the house. I had to pull a permit get an inspection before they would reconnect it.

Syoung1

Overhead electric line de-energize answered

Overhead electric line de-energize answered

I received new info for the overhead line de-energize , removal:

NG western ma will only de-energize a line for 30 days, no cost. My multi-story deck removal will take longer, ( demo permit, historic building exemption, conservation commission [waterfront property] ).

I opted for the overhead line removal and NG created a work order number, no cost as well.

NG now has a portal to track work orders: https://ngus.force.com/electric/s/

They also have a list of specifications for connection orders: https://ngus.force.com/electric/s/article/Electric-Specifications
This would have answered some questions had I known about it, but it will help with future questions.

Thanks to those who posted applicable information, and to the one who did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.