Disconnect for a Dual EV Charger. 2 Safety switches or 1 sub-panel with two breakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a commercial job coming up in a parking garage. I am installing two 40 amp circuits for two Level 2 EVSE ( EV Chargers) located in a public garage right next to each other. The main panel is located about 50 feet away in a different part of the building.

I was planning on running 1" emt to the location. I was wondering what the common way to do this would be. Would I run two circuits in the same pipe and then add two safety switches one for each EVSE or 1 pipe with 1-100 amp circuit and set a sub-panel next to the two EVSE chargers and use the sub-panel and its breakers as a disconnect. The sub-panel would be cheaper and easier but as I don't often do this type of installation I want to make sure I am not missing anything and want to make sure I am doing a high quality installation. Any thoughts or advice? If I do install a panel what brand or type would be suitable for a commercial garage? If I bust out a Homeline outdoor panel will I be laughed at?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I don't think you are missing anything. I would probably do the subpanel, too. I'm not aware of a safety switch requirement, or any disconnecting means requirement at the equipment, for this voltage and amperage. (See 625.42) I'm also not a snob about breaker brands.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Agreed. A shared feeder suffers less voltage drop than separate circuits, and allows for expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.