Replace batteries or entire e-lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm helping a local non-profit with an older building- the immediate problem is about half the emergency lights don't test. I only had time to pull the battery from one of them (all the same model, 10? years old) and didn't check the charge voltage, but that battery is stone dead. Even if the charge voltage is OK, would you replace the entire units or just the batteries? Sure, there are cheap replacement heads, but I don't like installing cheap (inexpensive is OK, though).

Heading back there over the weekend.

480sparky

It might be just the battery. It might be the charging circuit. It might be burned out lamps.

Personally, I'd just put in all new units (LED, of course), as opposed to TS'ing every one and finding a hodge-podge of issues, then finding the repair parts for all of them.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
All our old em. lights had lead acid batteries. The new LED ones usually have Ni-Cad batteries which should last longer, and they should be cheaper to replace the next time around.

One we just ordered only has 3 AA NiCad batteries. I think it cost about $30. So I would suggest just replacing them all.

One we just ordered only has 3 AA NiCad batteries. I think it cost about $30. So I would suggest just replacing them all.

Not sure that NiCd replacements will be cheaper than SLA in the next few years (the replacement SLA batteries are now <$10), but I'm now on for replacement. If it was $200 "architectural" units there wouldn't be a question, but ya, for these, replace sounds better even if it's more cost to the group- an extra $100 isn't a problem, $500 they'd be asking questions.

Thanks, folks.

MAC702

Replacing with all new fixtures is the way to go. I'd eat material costs if I had to just to save all the diagnosing labor, and then the buying of X number of batteries, Y number of lamps, and Z number of complete fixtures anyway, and then making ANOTHER trip.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
If the fixtures are good, put in an LED retrofit kit for the exit lights and drop in a new battery. The savings in electricity in the first year will pay for all the materials and your time. Same for any combo units.

Status
Not open for further replies.