Temp Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I have a small organization that provides meals one time a year. They need an extra 200 amps on that day to utilize the extra roasters etc. required. I'm inclined to 4 or 5 temp panel setups that can be located as needed for that day fed via a 60 amp receptacle and cord. Are ready made setups available or do you build your own? 1ph 120/240v.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a small organization that provides meals one time a year. They need an extra 200 amps on that day to utilize the extra roasters etc. required. I'm inclined to 4 or 5 temp panel setups that can be located as needed for that day fed via a 60 amp receptacle and cord. Are ready made setups available or do you build your own? 1ph 120/240v.

what makes you think this would be code legal?

Occupation
EC - retired
I install a new 400 amp service to the building, Main Breaker. A 225 feeder goes to the existing. A 100 feeder to the rooftop units. A 225 feeder goes to another ML panel that then feeds receptacles for my portable power units. What makes you think it would not be compliant?

I could use the spider boxes for construction. That might be easier and/or better.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I install a new 400 amp service to the building, Main Breaker. A 225 feeder goes to the existing. A 100 feeder to the rooftop units. A 225 feeder goes to another ML panel that then feeds receptacles for my portable power units. What makes you think it would not be compliant?

I could use the spider boxes for construction. That might be easier and/or better.

Well, you kinda buried the lede there on this story. I was wondering how a bunch of temp panels were going to magically find you another 225 amps of service.

If your temp panels have permanently attached cord sets and there is OCPD protection at the temp panel sized to the cord set, I wouldn't see a problem, at least electrically.

oldsparky52

If the set up is the same each year, I wonder if you would be better off just installing some receptacles at the required location? Sure save on dragging cords all over the place. Of course this depends on what the conditions are for getting the conduits to these locations.

Occupation
EC - retired
Well, you kinda buried the lede there on this story. I was wondering how a bunch of temp panels were going to magically find you another 225 amps of service. Yes, minor details.

If your temp panels have permanently attached cord sets and there is OCPD protection at the temp panel sized to the cord set, I wouldn't see a problem, at least electrically.

I told them to continue with the generators or move the annual supper to a location that has already offered free use of its space. Old timers, want to maintain the location where it all started.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I told them to continue with the generators or move the annual supper to a location that has already offered free use of its space. Old timers, want to maintain the location where it all started.

"We've bin here a hunnert an' thirty years, I'll be danged if'n we start movin' things around now."

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
if you wire the new panelboards with cords, how do they fit into the allowed usages of cords in 400.10(A)?

Presumably you are claiming 590.4(B) allows you to use cords for the feeders, however, other than allowing you to use cords for the feeders, it appears article 590 still requires you to abide by article 400.

oldsparky52

if you wire the new panelboards with cords, how do they fit into the allowed usages of cords in 400.10(A)?

Presumably you are claiming 590.4(B) allows you to use cords for the feeders, however, other than allowing you to use cords for the feeders, it appears article 590 still requires you to abide by article 400.

400.10 (A) (10)?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We have something similar over here with a large food service distributor that puts on a food show every spring at their distribution warehouse to showcase the different foods they offer.

They will bring in a generator since the service isn't set up for this extra load one day a year. I haven't been there myself for quite sometime, but I believe they've been using two pallets with a vertical wood frame braced off of them with a panel and several quadplexes below it. I think they own those setups themselves. If that wasn't available, I would just use spiderboxes, as we have about 6 of those with cords from previous projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.