Island Solar Power Service, 1,500 Amp with XHHW ALUM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Meier

We currently have a job on a small Island in the Bahamas that will be feeding Solar PV power into the local grid. The run length is 400ft. and power will be 480V, 1,500Amp. We are inclined to use XHHW compact Alum. wire due to cost and weight for shipping and handling. I have seen considerable comments regarding general use of Alum wire but these tend to be structures located on the mainland.

Are there any specific experiences or pointers to share concerning use of this wire in the corrosive, Island environment? Location will be flat, 4ft. above sea level and about 1,500ft. from open water. Will likely use multiple 750 conductors in 4" conduit and terminating inside environmentally controlled buildings. Thanks, Chuck

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

PS: User is a contractor so the thread is open again.

Last edited:
I dont have any experience with installations around such areas and what is "common" or "necessary" , but I dont see how you would ever have any trouble if you hypressed on lugs and used heatshrink to seal the interface. One member on here, Randy/Fulthrotl swears by it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We currently have a job on a small Island in the Bahamas that will be feeding Solar PV power into the local grid. The run length is 400ft. and power will be 480V, 1,500Amp. We are inclined to use XHHW compact Alum. wire due to cost and weight for shipping and handling. I have seen considerable comments regarding general use of Alum wire but these tend to be structures located on the mainland.

Are there any specific experiences or pointers to share concerning use of this wire in the corrosive, Island environment? Location will be flat, 4ft. above sea level and about 1,500ft. from open water. Will likely use multiple 750 conductors in 4" conduit and terminating inside environmentally controlled buildings. Thanks, Chuck

Chuck, I believe you will be fine with Xhhw but make sure it is Xhhw/Xhhw-2. Unusual to see just Xhhw but I am not sure about down there. Xhhw without the -2 is only rated 75C in wet locations. You may want the 90C.. [MENTION=157859]Chuck Meier[/MENTION]

For lighting and power applications in accordance with the National Electrical Code and for other generalpropose wiring applications. Suitable for use in circuits not exceeding 600 volts at conductor temperatures notexceeding 90°C in wet or dry locations. May be installed in raceway, duct, direct burial and aerial installations. Itsinsulation is flame retardant, and provides mechanical resistance against humidity, chemical agents and oils, itsblack pigmentation is rated sunlight - resistant, therefore it can be use in outside applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.