Metal Clad Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many years ago I saw a new product being featured at my local hardware store, but it seems to have vanished. It was a version of metal clad cable where the cladding was a smooth aluminum tube instead of a spiral-wrapped layer, like BX cable. Does anyone remember this product and what happened to it?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Could have been smooth sheath MC cable.

6be7125cf302eab38621206ca5bb9e3dea852752.jpeg

https://forum.nachi.org/t/small-diameter-bendable-conduit/105604

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Many years ago I saw a new product being featured at my local hardware store, but it seems to have vanished. It was a version of metal clad cable where the cladding was a smooth aluminum tube instead of a spiral-wrapped layer, like BX cable. Does anyone remember this product and what happened to it?

I believe it was problems with installation that made it disappear. There was a high rise in Oakland that was done exclusively with this product. The Electrical contractor was and still is one of the largest in the country, so they were kind of the guinea pigs. From what I understand, one extra turn on the connector and the sheath was digging in to the wires and there were hundreds if not thousands of shorts. this same building used the premanufactured wall panels that a track was laid down and they were slid in. the boxes were actually cut in and glued tot he other side with liquid nails.

kwired

Electron manager
one extra turn on the connector and the sheath was digging in to the wires and there were hundreds if not thousands of shorts.

I don't buy that. Can over tighten connectors on spiral type sheath just as easily.

What little of this product I have run into, seems would be a bigger PITA to handle than spiral type though, may have just lost sales on ease of use issues.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I remember that too and I never even considered using it. It reminded me of the "hard line" cable I used to use for cable TV. You had to maintain a minimum bend radius and you had to be careful how you handled it to prevent kinks and damage from crushing. Maybe kinks weren't an issue with that kind of MC, but the work in that picture looks like crap to me.

-Hal

You Found It

You Found It

The product in the photo is exactly what I remember seeing, small diameter and seam-free aluminum sheath. I am still curious, is it still manufactured or permitted? From the description of the installation in Oakland it may have lost its approval, its UL listing, or both.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The product in the photo is exactly what I remember seeing, small diameter and seam-free aluminum sheath. I am still curious, is it still manufactured or permitted? From the description of the installation in Oakland it may have lost its approval, its UL listing, or both.
It is still permitted [see Sections 330.24(A) and 330.116]. I don't know if it is still manufactured.

Status
Not open for further replies.