What would this plug be for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAC702

I've not seen that one before, but I've seen odd ones used inside equipment. For example, the motor in a swamp cooler might have a cord-and-plug connection, but it's a plug with 4 prongs, to pass two different speeds.

That one is still only 3 prongs, so is just weird on purpose for some other reason.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I think I saw that on the blower for an old Jenn Aire down draft range. But this was years ago in my own house, and we were removing the damn thing, so I can't be sure. I just remember that it was a strange plug that looked almost normal.

-Jon

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
Where did it come from? Did you find a matching receptacle?
My guess would be a manufacturing error -- the wrong pins loaded into an automated assembly line, or line workers who received only the most-rudimentary training, which neglected to include any insight about what they were manufacturing.

I once found a NEMA 5-15 air-conditioner extension cord with a 180° flip -- line & neutral reversed from plug to receptacle -- but didn't keep or photograph it.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
To me, it appears that while the K does have 2 rounds and a flat, the orientation is different.

Same here. The "flat" in the Type K is actually a half-round, and it's in the wrong position for the OP's plug.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Without a doubt, Winnie has the correct source: click on his link, below, and you will find a manufacturer specific, and probably proprietary plug.

From Google. Never seen this before.

Ok, confirmed. Jenn Air blower plug:
http://jennairrange.cricket/jenn-ai...ssembly-plug-in-model-range-ventilation-4.htm

Several other old e-bay listings show up in google image search, but I can't get to the original listing with the pictures.

-Jon

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Huh... I'll bet Jenn Air does that so that you can't use their receptacle for anything other than their fan.

And they must make enough of them to make it worth their while to have custom plug + socket.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I'll bet you're right.....~RJ~

I'll make a bet against that :D :p

131766d1250103748-there-no-ground-my-studio-balanced-tech-power.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.