Doing a drop-ceiling speaker install, want to make sure I'm doing it right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya! I'm new to the world of doing wiring outside of home stuff, and very new to building codes related to drop ceilings. I've studied best I can, searched as long as I could take it, and have a few questions that I don't have answers to still.

The first (and most glaring); do I need seismic wires if I am using a tile bridge/backcan system to mount speakers? I'm using the Atlas EZ96-8 and overall, it's a good install but I want to make sure that doesn't have any odd requirements that I'm unaware of.

The second; I swear that I remember running a shielded, 2 conductor, class 2 certified, cable through a HVAC wire duct support. I was in a bit of a haze at the time so I have no idea if that's legal, or up-to-code. I did that because I took one of the 2005 NFPA 70 rules (something in 300, maybe 300.11?) for ceiling fixtures in the terms of "cables must be supported and can only come over and down to a ceiling fixture" and that was the best way to do it.

The third; is there any rule of having too many things on a drop ceiling too close to each other? Sometimes, there will be a fire alarm light, next to a sprinkler on another tile, next to the light on another section, and then my speaker on the next tile. I saw/thought of no other way to do it.

Thanks in advance! I'm in a little bit over my head with the whole install, but these are the issues that I am for sure confused about.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.