Punching holes in N3R cabinets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to make sure I'm not missing something.
I would like to punch a 3-1/2 in hole about 20 inches from the bottom of a N3R 400 amp disconnect to install a short piece of conduit from the meter base mounted next to it.
The only reference I can find covering this non-factory entrance is:
312.2 states " For enclosures in wet locations, raceways or cables entering above the level of uninsulated live parts shall have fittings listed for wet locations"
Is there any section I have missed that would not allow this?
Dj

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's allowed by the NEC. If as you've noted the live parts are above the KO then you can use a raceway with standard locknuts and it's does not need to be listed for wet locations.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I use sealing locknuts on standard ma's when I come in the side above terminations.

I would agree with ptonsparky though.

If at all possible, I would come in the side near the top of the disconnect so your wiring can be installed over and down into the line side lugs.

Is there any other section besides 312.2 that covers the ability to do this? The AHJ believes I am not permitted to punch an additional hole in the disconnect. He believes I have to use knockouts that are existing.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is there any other section besides 312.2 that covers the ability to do this? The AHJ believes I am not permitted to punch an additional hole in the disconnect. He believes I have to use knockouts that are existing.

He's wrong. As mentioned there are panelboards, wireways and pull boxes that come with no KO's.

Status
Not open for further replies.