Bending 3 inch schedule 80 pvc

Status
Not open for further replies.

patricknola

Electrical contractor/Generac Dealer
Occupation
Electrical contractor.
Hey Guys, I have to do an underground this week and I can't get me hands on any 3 inch 45 degree elbows, so I was wondering how hard would it be to bend my own with a milwaukee heating gun?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've bent PVC with a heat gun nothing that large. IMO you might not be able to get it hot enough for the required length of the bend unless you had multiple heat guns going at once. For 2" PVC I've used a gas barbecue grill a few times. If it's one 45° bend I would look to order it online from somewhere.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Gardner Bender BB2030
I have used the mats before on smaller size but this said 3" or get a hotbox.
Maybe a rosebud/weed torch but , you better be good.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
For 3" sch. 80, you need something that's made for heating pipe that size.

In our shop we would use a 6" greenlee hotbox, a propane hotbend torch, or a large greenlee blanket.

We will use our Milwaukee heat guns on 3/4 pvc every once in a while but that's about it.

As a second option, if you can't buy an elbow online and get it expedited to you, I would take this opportunity and instead invest in something that can heat larger pipe. It sounds like you need it.

Also keep in mind bending larger PVC is much harder to bend than 2" and smaller sizes: It kinks very easily. To do it correctly you really need to use compressed air to prevent the pipe from ovalizing and kinking. 3 inch isnt so bad, and if you just need one or a couple , you can probably make something work in a pinch.

Last edited:

oldsparky52

I have a large heat blanket I can let go (I'm retired).

A hot box would work better than the heat blanket. IMO, 3" is too large to attempt using a heat gun. The warning about kinking is all too valid. Even using my heat blanket, I had to be careful about that. I would heat up a section for a while, slide the blanket a few feet and heat some more then slide it back to almost where it was. A real PITA.

Expedited shipping of correct fittings or a large hot box is best IMO.

kwired

Electron manager
f242100.jpg

I have heater similar to this one, except it is a twin burner instead of a single, works great to heat 2 and 2.5 inch for bending, probably would work with 3 inch also. Can still scorch if left in one place for too long but not as easily as a torch.

7635tools

If you have a machine out there, use it to bend the pipe. I’ve bent 2 1/2” pvc with skid steer. Just give it about half throttle and slip the pipe over the exhaust. It will heat up enough to bend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
In a pinch it may be possible to cut 90 in half to make 2 @ 45's. And if cut side is not round enough to accept coupling can be heated and coupling slid on while it's still hot to restore shape.

Oh you said schedule 80, I've only done that with 40

Anyway I would not try to make the 45 with heat gun

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
As a make-shift DIY

PVC will collapse on itself when heated. Stuff/pack the bend area with some steel sink scrubbies or something like that. Slow heat. High direct IR or flame heat can burn/melt the outside before the section can heat to bending temp. You can use a carboard box to make an enclosure around the section, then stick a heat gun nose into a hole you make in the box, point nose not directly at the PVC. Use low setting 1st. As long as you can keep the heat in the box the PVC will heat to bending temp. It may just take some time to get to that temp. I've done only 1" this way, works but I would only do it again if in a pinch.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

In our shop we would use a 6" greenlee hotbox, a propane hotbend torch, or a large greenlee blanket.

We will use our Milwaukee heat guns on 3/4 pvc every once in a while but that's about it.

As a second option, if you can't buy an elbow online and get it expedited to you,
I would take this opportunity and instead invest in something that can heat larger pipe.
It sounds like you need it.

i've got one sitting in my backyard right now. absolutely kicks ass.
i have bent 4" sch. 80 with it, but you best put pipe plugs in to
hold in the heat and pressure, so it doesn't collapse.

i've just finished my pool, and as wonderful as this widgit is, it's going to
a new proud owner. i'm done doing large underground, and so it, and a
set of pipe plugs, is up for sale.

they are $850, and the pipe plugs were about $250 ish.
$500 takes all of it.

2" schedule 40? like in pool piping? 30 seconds to a minute.
doesn't burn like a weed burner. you can toast a pipe if you are
a dummy about it, but you have to work at it.

send a pm if interested. shippable tomorrow morning.

ritelec

a thought

Hey Guys, I have to do an underground this week and I can't get me hands on any 3 inch 45 degree elbows, so I was wondering how hard would it be to bend my own with a milwaukee heating gun?

maybe get together.... pre bend several and ship?

just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.