Emergency lights test button is required by ...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor.cherkashi

I know that fire code requires periodical emergency lights test.
Who regulates what components should be provided for this purpose.
There were some emergency pendant 8ft linear lighting fixture "Coronet lighting" without integral or option for remote test button, electrical contractor says that manufacturer doesn't provide test button for this model. The only way to test the emergency fixtures is to turn-off the breaker in panel.
Since I don't know code reference for test button requirements, I didn't give him any comments on this.
Does anyone know code reference (Building code, etc.) for test button requirements? I think it could be in UL books if the button is considered as part of lighting fixture.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I know that fire code requires periodical emergency lights test.
Who regulates what components should be provided for this purpose.
There were some emergency pendant 8ft linear lighting fixture "Coronet lighting" without integral or option for remote test button, electrical contractor says that manufacturer doesn't provide test button for this model. The only way to test the emergency fixtures is to turn-off the breaker in panel.
Since I don't know code reference for test button requirements, I didn't give him any comments on this.
Does anyone know code reference (Building code, etc.) for test button requirements? I think it could be in UL books if the button is considered as part of lighting fixture.

Assuming you are referring to "unit" type emergency lighting see here: [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]productspec.ul.com/document.php?id=FTBR.GuideInfo
[/FONT]

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
I don't think it is categorized as "unit" based on NEC definition.
Lumiere I mentioned is used for general lighting with on board battery backup. below is link to lighting fixture.
https://coronetled.com/ls3-led/
https://coronetled.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/spec-LS3-LED.pdf

These horizontal strips have batt backups in them? Made in the USA but carry ETL label, why dont they show what UL # the ETL uses to test them?

Anyways, emergency lights dont need a button. They need to be on a emergency lighting ckt and you use the OCPD to allow the batt to run the lamp for 30min (std fire test). The units that have test button usually have norm off lights, the button is just for a quik test to check the lights are working, and the recommendation it to use the button for 30sec to make sure the batt holds that long for the quik test.

victor.cherkashi

https://coronetled.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/spec-LS3-LED.pdf

These horizontal strips have batt backups in them? Made in the USA but carry ETL label, why dont they show what UL # the ETL uses to test them?

Anyways, emergency lights dont need a button. They need to be on a emergency lighting ckt and you use the OCPD to allow the batt to run the lamp for 30min (std fire test). The units that have test button usually have norm off lights, the button is just for a quik test to check the lights are working, and the recommendation it to use the button for 30sec to make sure the batt holds that long for the quik test.
Many architects use this manufacturer in NYC, we never had a problem.

yes, this horizontal strip has built in emergency battery pack. emergency circuit implies emergency power source (am I wrong?).

what code requires separate circuit for general lighting with built in emergency battery? in NY we don't provide separate circuit for the lights that also used for no emergency lighting. it could be different in other states.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
Many architects use this manufacturer in NYC, we never had a problem.

yes, this horizontal strip has built in emergency battery pack. emergency circuit implies emergency power source (am I wrong?).

what code requires separate circuit for general lighting with built in emergency battery? in NY we don't provide separate circuit for the lights that also used for no emergency lighting. it could be different in other states.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Not sure what you are asking. Your emergency lights should not be mixed with other types of BC's (outlets, other non emergency lighting, etc). This way when it comes time to test the emergency lighting you flip the OCPD and it cuts power to only the emergency lighting.

The batts in the lights are the "emergency power". The test is to see if all util power (including UPS or gen) goes offline then you still have lighting for the emergency at-hand.

Also, there's a diff between "emergency exit" lighting, and general emergency lighting.

I think you need to dig more on the NYC codes and not rely just on NEC

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/buildings/codes/ecric-code-interpretations-2016.page

https://www.exitlightco.com/New-York-City-Code.html

Status
Not open for further replies.