Panel Clearance Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
I forgot where the code is.

Commercial 800A 3ph panel dmark clearances.

I have a wall that has several panels distributing 800A 3ph. I need to extend the wall these panels are already mounted to to make a room around it (galley style room). The panels have doors. What code shows the working area clearances?

red are the panels, black is existing wall
blue is new walls to make the room, green is the door
Untitled.png

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What is the blue wall made of and what is the voltage to ground of the distribution panels?

FionaZuppa

Occupation
What is the blue wall made of and what is the voltage to ground of the distribution panels?

Existing wall I believe is 5/8" fire rated sheetrock. Existing and new is all steel stud framing. New walls will be whatever is required. 3ph is 120/208v wye.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since it's 208Y/120 all three conditions of 110.26(A)(1) would be 3' of depth in front of the panel, that's from the cover to the wall opposite the panel.

Had it been over 150 volts to ground like in a 480Y/277 volt system then it could have been condition 1 or condition 2 depending on the wall material and that would be either 3' or 3'6" of clearance.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Since it's 208Y/120 all three conditions of 110.26(A)(1) would be 3' of depth in front of the panel, that's from the cover to the wall opposite the panel.

Had it been over 150 volts to ground like in a 480Y/277 volt system then it could have been condition 1 or condition 2 depending on the wall material and that would be either 3' or 3'6" of clearance.

Thanks, i'll take a gander at 110.26

Status
Not open for further replies.