vertical install of raintight emt connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

dean4766

so I installed 10 3 1/2" " raintight" connectors in to the top of ct cabinet and to the top of the main of the switchgear,raco part 2944rt says its raintight and has a ul listing,I was talking to my county inspector and he said that not all raintight connectors are listed for vertical install, but cant find any info on connector that says one way or another it just says raintight and the ul listing says this products meets the new raintight standards, anybody have any insights on this

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
The horizontal RTs are stored on the right and the vertical RTs are stored on the left.

I've never heard of that.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I don't know what he's talking about either but I do know that these connectors aren't really raintight whatever position you use them in.

-Hal
Water can get into places you might not think possible. I used to keep an ice chest out on my deck with the lid tightly closed. After a couple of months I'd open it up and it would be full of water. I still keep it out there but now it's upside down.

kwired

Electron manager
They are listed rain tight in any orientation.

That said the gasket that comes with a majority of them out there is a POS, and will deteriorate within a year or two. Once that happens it will leak more water than if you had used a set screw fitting. We used to use standard compression fittings and put them in myers hubs when entering top of enclosures, and even high on sides (above live parts) of enclosures. I have reverted back to doing this even with the RT fittings and tossing those useless washers they come with. If an inspector has an issue with it we will be having a discussion about how many I have come back to see the washer gone or at least mostly pulled out and the fitting so loose there isn't even any bonding going on anymore. That still don't work, his supervisor is hearing the same discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.