License required

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFloyd

Is there a state or federal regulation thatrequires individuals to be licensed when performing electrical work –installing, maintaining, extending electrical wiring system and theequipment ect... I know that home installation and/or commercial electricalwork a licensed electrician is required

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Licensing requirements are State and vary State by State from very strict to none at all. Sometimes large municipalities have additional requirements as well. There is no Federal requirement, other than OSHA stating that you must be a "qualified electrical worker" or words to that effect.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Neither local nor State code is required for Property Insurance Policy to cite NFPA-70, or any other standard that names them as authority having jurisdiction, to deny claims against uninsurable fire & safety hazards.

If Insurance inspectors question an install, any burdens of proof to establish "qualified persons" falls on property owners.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Most places have laws that require licensing or at least supervision by someone who is licensed.

Some places lack enforcement of those laws, or have a lack in certain areas.

Even with poor enforcement, if a serious injury, major property destruction or even a death occurs because of questionable work, and it is discovered licensing rules were in violation, that is more fuel for the plaintiffs in the lawsuit, and could even result in criminal charges being filed.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Alaska statutes are clear. Installation done per the NEC require a Certificate of Fitness (journeyman's license)

Putting in a new 120V receptacle requires a COF.

To replace a 2200 hp, 4000 V motor, OSHA requires "qualified" - short, paraphrased definition, "Trained on the equipment and task."

Truly, there are not many COF holder house ropers I want terminating a 4160V motor. That is not dising house ropers, it is just not what they are trained on.

(edit to add)
Alaska does not require a COF to wire one's own house.
And, I understand, Anchorage requires a plumber license (mechanical administrator?) to install a water heater - even in one's own house. Not sure on this, The only place I visit in Anchorage is the airport.

Last edited:

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
Most locales have rules for various types of work being done. Service entrances usually required a licensed person. The BC's into the resi the owner can usually do the work as long as proper permitting and inspections are done. Not all locales are like this.

For commercial, I have seen almost all locales require a licensed person be the one listed on permitting, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.