Static?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwe

Shock in all metal parts of an apartment having main breaker off and testing with Neutral disconnected still shock with neutral connected and still shock, EGC ok, bonding Ok.
Cable LV disconnected and still shock everywhere. Everithing disconnected and still shock when touch metal parts, Floor is new Tile ceramic. . AC Humidity 45%. . apartments beside don't show this effect.
Any suggestion on this phantom?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I get a near constant static discharge at a local Costco store. Not all Costco stores, just one. I feel it constantly as I push the cart around and my hand moves from the plastic handle to touch the metal. The theory I have is that there is some sort of sealant on the concrete floor of THAT particular Costco which is different from other Costcos (this one is the oldest in the area) and that sealant is creating static. Other people I have mentioned it to have noticed it as well. The point is, there are different flooring treatments that create static more so than others, it's no longer unique to carpets and rugs. Some of the new flooring that LOOKS like ceramic tile is in fact laminate material, i.e. plastic.

kwe

Define "shock". Are you saying that you just walk up to the stove and touch it you feel a shock? Is it a continuous tingle or a momentary zap?

-Hal

It is a momentary zap. Also in the corners of walls is feeling it. After that zip you touch it again and dissipate. But again walk side to side and happen again.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
At 45% humidity, I didn’t think static would be an issue.

A capacitor is static charge (when charged), 0 or 200% humidty, makes no diff. A cap will bleed off faster in more humid air vs dry air, but both still fairly slow.

But surely, static charge buildup on non-metallic objects that are exposed to humid air is likely less of an issue that in dry air.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
Here I get that at the local Walmart! I also think shoes might enter into the equation, along with the cart wheels.

Yep, rubbing insulators will charge you like a capacitor.

Bring a water spray bottle with you, spray the floor as you walk, tell them you don't care for their free static charge. But seriously, this type of static can be deadly for those who have pacemaker on their heart.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
But seriously, this type of static can be deadly for those who have pacemaker on their heart.

Interesting. This is the second time someone has brought up (either directly or a link to something elsewhere) people with pacemakers being at risk from everyday electrical events. Never heard this before except years ago I knew someone who had a pacemaker who was advised not to use a chainsaw and to give up his amateur radio hobby. I would think by now pacemaker manufacturers have it figured out.

-Hal

cowboyjwc

Staff member
We had a store here that had that problem, turned out it was the carts, so they attached a little piece of chain that drug along the floor to dissipate it.

One of my bowling shoes has a leather piece and it took me a while to figure it out, but I would shock people and get shocked off the ball return and the scoring stand all the time. Now I just touch them real quick when I get up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.